4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03-04 cobra seats - are they a worthwhile upgrade on a 2000 GT?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Corbeau sells adaptors for the stock rail to allow use of the power seat junk. It means the seat will sit higher. I got rid of my set up like that after about 24 hrs in favor of their sliders. Also, the 79-04 Mustang slider bracket from them comes with a mounting point for the female end of the seat belt. No modification needed.

The Corbeau sliders are ROCK SOLID. I was in a VERY bad accident (not my fault). The first responders that pulled me out of my car told me the seat/bar/harness saved my life.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

Matt, did you know if you have the double locking sliders or single ones? The one I've been looking at is a single locking one, hopefully the double locking ones are beefier.

Here's what I'm comparing on the relative strength of these sliders.

The stock sliders are made out of steel that is .1" thick. Also the mounting points have room for a large washer. This spreads the load over a larger area, increasing the strength of the joint.

Both the base and the upper rail on the single locking Corbeau slider are made out of 0.060" steel. But unfortunately in addition to being thinner, because of how the rails are formed there is no room for even a standard size washer under the retaining bolt, to fit a washer at all would take a custom one and it wouldn't be much bigger than the bolt head.

So compared to the stock slider, the thinner metal and reduced load area makes it much weaker.

I also got a chance to look at a Sparco slider today. I had seen comments that it was the strongest and safest aftermarket slider so I wanted to get a close look at it.

Unfortunately the mounting holes have different dimensions (10-3/4" versus 13") so you can't do a bolt in swap of Sparco and Corbeau sliders. The Sparco slider has 0.090" thick metal on the base and 0.060" metal on the upper rail. The upper rail has a recessed area to allow a washer to be used, not as big as on the stock sliders but enough to help it out some. So this slider looks stronger than the Corbeau one but still not as strong as a stock one, it also has thinner metal and reduced area on the upper mounting point.

It looks like the moral of the story is if you are going to custom seats and want the seats to be as least as secure as the stock ones, don't use the sliders, either stay with the stock sliders or direct mount the seats.

Are the double locking Corbeau and Sparco ones safe enough to use?

Probably, but it bugs me that they aren't at least as strong as the stock ones and since my sons will be driving this car sometimes I can't go with them. If I had to use one I'd go with the Sparco one.

Does anyone know if non-power drivers seats are very common? I'm thinking on the lower end V6 models they may have used those, the sliders from one of those would be good sliders to use on the drivers side. The power sliders are not only a lot heavier they also sit higher.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I used the single slider that was incorporated into the mounting base. The one's I had were all one part that bolted to the bottom of the seat and then to the stock mounting points in the car.

Yes, they are VERY safe to use. I don't see why they wouldn't be? Many, many, many people use them in race oriented set ups, and they pass tech all the time.

The only non-power driver's seat cars may have been the early GTS cars. The V6s had power.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

The simple seat adapters I made to bolt a Corbeau seat to the stock passenger side slider work pretty well.

I was going to put pics up in this post but I guess you can't just put them inline and I don't have a photo link setup , oh well.

There were 2 unexpected issues. The first one was easy, the feet on the stock slider are pretty wide and need a slight trim on one edge to clear the seat bolt heads, this was a 10 minute job with and air grinder with a carbide cutting head.

The second issue was unfortunate- the stock slider's seat belt receiver mounting flange doesn't clear the base of the Corbeau seat. I was hoping not to half to modify the stock slider but that went out the window, this bracket had to be sawed off. It can be done with a hand saw if you have a good quality bi-metal blade in it.

Fortunately the Corbeau seats I have (Sport Seat model) have a seat belt receiver hole at the base of seat, under the plastic cover on the console side.

I think all Corbeau reclining style seats may have this seat belt hole as they all seem to have the same side covers that my seat has and probably all use the same style hinge and hardware.

The hole worked well to remount the receiver, a 1/2"-13 thread bolt that is 1-1/4" long, some big flat washers and an nylock type locking nut worked fine on this.

The seat works well in the car, its tight on the door side but doesn't rub. There is plenty of clearance on the console side. It sits I think slightly lower than the stock seat did and one nice thing is that it leans forward more, making it easier to get in the back seat.

I thought I might have to mount the seat belt guides that are on the outer edge of the stock seat but at least for the people I'll have sitting in the car (all pretty big) the angle of the belt seems fine without that guide.

My stock drivers side seat is still in so I haven't been able to look to see if the seat mounting points are the same on that side. If so these same adapters will work on that side also, I'll be working on that seat in a few days and I'll post back what I find out.

If anybody wants a copy of the drawings of the adapter plates let me know and we'll figure out how to get them to you, they are pretty easy to make if you are good at getting holes in the right place with a hand drill or drill press.