4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OTD Price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Syruplord

Default OTD Price?

Hey guys, I am considering buying a 2001 Mustang GT Premium Convertible. Its automatic unfortunately, but...yeah. My previous car broke down, and it's not even worth it to fix it at this point (catalytic converter and massive hole in my exhaust pipe.)

Anyway, I am posting here because I was wondering what you guys think about the OTD price of $9001.36 for THIS car:

http://www.frontline109.com/2001-For...8/Details.aspx

And here is the AutoCheck:

http://www.edmunds.com/api/inventory...hicle-glossary

So one owner, low miles. The car is in great condition, practically flawless. I am going for a test drive tomorrow, and if it runs well, I will probably buy it. I have not been able to find another similar car for this price.

Hopefully I will buy it and become an active member here =]

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

By OTD I trust you mean out the door. For me that means the price of the car, sales tax, registration and fees to get it on the road.

I have no idea how much those things cost in New York, so I have no idea how much the car costs. I do know sales tax in California can be damn close to 10% in certain areas and it's zero in Montana.

Since you won't be getting a deal on sales tax and registration, JUST POST THE PRICE OF THE CAR.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:39 PM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

First off, nice find, the car looks clean and not modded. Welcome to the club!

Now for my thoughts. 9 Grand out the door is crack price for me. I wouldn't pay it, to be fair I spent 5 hours negiotating my mustang down to below wholesale out the door. Don't be afraid to walk away and just know that if you think it is a fair deal then it doesn't matter what all the idiots on the internet say - including me. I would go in test drive and inspect it. Take it somewhere and pay the 100 bucks. Also take it through an auto car wash to check for leaks. If it all checks out okay then I would pay 7 grand OTD not 7000.01. When you stand up and walk out then you get the best deal. Just be straight forward and tell them 'this is what I am willing to pay for the car and you can make money at that point then great otherwise we don't have to waste each others time.' They have to make some money and but you don't have to be the entire rent check for the month. I would you these aguments for getting the price down.

1. Tires aren't summer tires or OEM, or even they stock goodyears from tirerack. There is a difference between the tires of the same name between different manufacturers. I.E. Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are different on BMW vs Mercedes..... $750 to put good ones on. So that is $750 off the price off the bat.

2. Low mileage is great but it only has 8k put on since 2006. Not a lot and was most likely stored at some point.

3. Maintenance history. You probably won't be getting any receipts and the fluids are most likely the same the it left the factory with. Those should be changed since they are 12 years old now. Just now they most likely picked it up at an auction and only did the minimum to legally sell the car.

4. It's an auto. Even if you wanted an auto tell them a manual would be more desirable, and thus an auto is a discount to you.

Also the car is 12 years old, don't forget that. The low milage is great but don't feel you have to over pay for it. Lots of mustangs get up to 150K with relatively little maintenance. These cars are pretty reliable and decently cheap to fix. A higher mileage/newer car could be had for a similar price.

It looks good but a little high for me. Hope it works out for you!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:44 PM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Also forgot, fire it up, let it warm up and stick your head under the hood and listen to see if the valves are ticking. These motors are notorious for that if driven hard at all. Just listen for the sound of the price dropping. I don't think it hurts the motor but you can tell him it will cost to get it fixed, blah blah blah.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Syruplord

Originally Posted by needmorespeed
First off, nice find, the car looks clean and not modded. Welcome to the club!

Now for my thoughts. 9 Grand out the door is crack price for me. I wouldn't pay it, to be fair I spent 5 hours negiotating my mustang down to below wholesale out the door. Don't be afraid to walk away and just know that if you think it is a fair deal then it doesn't matter what all the idiots on the internet say - including me. I would go in test drive and inspect it. Take it somewhere and pay the 100 bucks. Also take it through an auto car wash to check for leaks. If it all checks out okay then I would pay 7 grand OTD not 7000.01. When you stand up and walk out then you get the best deal. Just be straight forward and tell them 'this is what I am willing to pay for the car and you can make money at that point then great otherwise we don't have to waste each others time.' They have to make some money and but you don't have to be the entire rent check for the month. I would you these aguments for getting the price down.

1. Tires aren't summer tires or OEM, or even they stock goodyears from tirerack. There is a difference between the tires of the same name between different manufacturers. I.E. Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are different on BMW vs Mercedes..... $750 to put good ones on. So that is $750 off the price off the bat.

2. Low mileage is great but it only has 8k put on since 2006. Not a lot and was most likely stored at some point.

3. Maintenance history. You probably won't be getting any receipts and the fluids are most likely the same the it left the factory with. Those should be changed since they are 12 years old now. Just now they most likely picked it up at an auction and only did the minimum to legally sell the car.

4. It's an auto. Even if you wanted an auto tell them a manual would be more desirable, and thus an auto is a discount to you.

Also the car is 12 years old, don't forget that. The low milage is great but don't feel you have to over pay for it. Lots of mustangs get up to 150K with relatively little maintenance. These cars are pretty reliable and decently cheap to fix. A higher mileage/newer car could be had for a similar price.

It looks good but a little high for me. Hope it works out for you!
Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I actually asked him about the fluids when I first went in there, and he assured me that before they would give me the car, they take it in their shop and change all the fluids, check the battery and replace it if neccessary, change the tires if they were bad, etc.

I will use all the points you mentioned in negotiations tomorrow. It really helped to see what someone else thought, and I will definitely check to see if the valves are ticking.

This is the first car I will be buying from a dealership rather than a private sale, so hopefully I do alright with it. I think I am going to try to get $7500 before taxes and stuff. I think thats a fair price for both of us.

Thanks again! Your post really helped me =P
Old 09-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Syruplord
I think I am going to try to get $7500 before taxes and stuff.
So, you don't know what OTD means.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 PM
AZ01GT

I wouldn't take the dealership at their word about replacing anything. and regardless of miles the rubber bushings are still probably 12 years old, hell I wouldn't be surprised to find OEM shocks and struts. I wouldn't even look at the car if they wanted more than 7k with taxes and all included.

Of course I have tons of options by me and you might not I personally would look private party.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

You said "Its automatic unfortunately". Seems a though you want a manual. I bought a 93 Z28 auto and regretted it everytime I drove it. I really wanted a 6-speed but settled for the lower price auto. If I can go back I would have waited or spent a little more for the manual. GL!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Nice car, but the price is very high. I lived in NY for over 30 years. You should be able to find a lot of Mustang's in good condition for that price. Most should be newer model 's. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

You should be able to get that car under$8k, out the door, that's including tax title and tags. Tell them you'll buy it today $7,900, everything included or no deal. There's an '02 silver manual Gt coupe my way for $6700 with little more miles than that. For a few grand more you can find a good used S197.

Quick Reply: OTD Price?