4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what could cause a engine to seize?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Shan243
1st Gear Member

Default what could cause a engine to seize?

One day I was driving, it was losing power, the it started to tick a little and all of a sudden it shut off.
I was thinking maybe the oil pump went bad. But Idk I took the valve covers off and cams look to be in good shape very little wear and the timing chain all look good. You can't turn it with a breaker bar it won't move. Also a while back the spark plug blew out of the head. Got the head rethreaded. But now I took all the spark plugs out and the one that was rethreaded is broken like the piece that curves down under the little white piece. The engine is ready to pull out I just don't have a hoist to pull it yet. So I was just wondering what could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Shan243
1st Gear Member

Here are the cams Name:  IMG_20130920_182825_577_zps52632e45.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  80.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20130920_182852_218_zpscc00ca3d.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  73.2 KB
Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Sounds to me like it starved itself for oil and locked up. Why? No one can say till you pull the pan and look for broken pieces or pick up tube clogged etc.....
Old 09-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Shan243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by supersnake67
Sounds to me like it starved itself for oil and locked up. Why? No one can say till you pull the pan and look for broken pieces or pick up tube clogged etc.....
I drain the oil a couple of weeks ago. Nothing unusual was in the oil. The engine has just about 100k miles

Do you know if it's possible to take the oil pan off while the engine is still in the car?
Name:  image_zps4c767cc7.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  111.1 KB

It has that thing going across the whole car and idk how far the crank and everything sits at the bottoms do the engine.
Do you think I could unbolt it and slide the whole pan back without it touching the crank or will the pan hit the crank if I were to slide it back.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 AM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure you can , but it's a pain in the butt. You will have to loosen motor mounts and jack the engine up as high as possible using the bottom of the trans bellhousing as your jacking piont. So that it'll clear the K member. Then try to pull it out. If your pulling the motor why worry?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Shan243
1st Gear Member

I'm sure you can , but it's a pain in the butt. You will have to loosen motor mounts and jack the engine up as high as possible using the bottom of the trans bellhousing as your jacking piont. So that it'll clear the K member. Then try to pull it out. If your pulling the motor why worry?
Because I'm leaving the trans in and if I do that I have to slide the engine forward away from the trans right? But you can't slide it forward because of how the oil pan slopes down. It'll hit all that stuff in the way
Old 09-26-2013, 05:00 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

+1 on this
Old 09-27-2013, 04:45 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shan243
Because I'm leaving the trans in and if I do that I have to slide the engine forward away from the trans right? But you can't slide it forward because of how the oil pan slopes down. It'll hit all that stuff in the way
You only need to move it an inch or two to get them separated. First remove all the bell housing to motor bolts and the (four?) torque converter to flex plate bolts, then loosen or remove the nuts attaching the motor mounts to the frame, and you can get a pry bar in there and lean the motor forward to separate them. The motor will pivot on the motor mount bolts that go through the wholes in the frame. Be careful, pick good solid spots to pry on and have the tranny supported from underneath with a jack or jack stand before you begin so it doesn’t just drop after they are separated.

Last edited by petrock; 09-27-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Shan243
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
You only need to move it an inch or two to get them separated. First remove all the bell housing to motor bolts and the (four?) torque converter to flex plate bolts, then loosen or remove the nuts attaching the motor mounts to the frame, and you can get a pry bar in there and lean the motor forward to separate them. The motor will pivot on the motor mount bolts that go through the wholes in the frame. Be careful, pick good solid spots to pry on and have the tranny supported from underneath with a jack or jack stand before you begin so it doesn’t just drop after they are separated.
Thanks for the info. See I thought they had to separate alot .
Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shan243
Thanks for the info. See I thought they had to separate alot .
Yeah, the bell housing only has to clear the flexplate, the tranny locator pins in the block and the torque converter bolts. Total distance is about 1.5 inches (give or take a half inch). Once its separated you can lift the motor the rest of the way out of the engine bay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what could cause a engine to seize?