4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TRANSMISSION OR CLUTCH ISSUIE?

Old 10-06-2013, 05:14 PM
vortechgt504

Default TRANSMISSION OR CLUTCH ISSUIE?

I have a fully built and superchaged gt forged bottom end valve job cams v2 boost cooler meth injection etc.....well had a stock tr3650 with stock clutch so i brought it in to get changed to a centerforce dual friction (shop recommend)

car was fine before i got it changed just knew my stock clutch wouldnt hold up

after leaving the shop i would hear a spinning sound when clutch pedal was to the floor....also would whine in 5th gear....(never dogged at all didnt pass 3000rpm)

drove the vehicle 50 miles then the noise got bad sounded like a bunch of squealing belts and would not go in gear so i got it towed back to the same shop all they did was raise the car in the air and say "ah nope nah its the transmission, these transmissions are pieces of ****, you probaly threw a bearing on the inside" so i pulled the transmission myself thinking it was a throw out bearing; transmission is completely out the vehicle but i dont fool with tansmissions or clutches so dont know what im looking at the clutch is still on the car.

transmission is reman with only 10k on it

what do yall think or what can i look at or what should i do?

soon i will get a built one from pro performance.com but just dont have the funds at the moment

transmission is a tr3650
2002 mustang gt
Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vortechgt504
I have a fully built and superchaged gt forged bottom end valve job cams v2 boost cooler meth injection etc.....well had a stock tr3650 with stock clutch so i brought it in to get changed to a centerforce dual friction (shop recommend)

car was fine before i got it changed just knew my stock clutch wouldnt hold up

after leaving the shop i would hear a spinning sound when clutch pedal was to the floor....also would whine in 5th gear....(never dogged at all didnt pass 3000rpm)

drove the vehicle 50 miles then the noise got bad sounded like a bunch of squealing belts and would not go in gear so i got it towed back to the same shop all they did was raise the car in the air and say "ah nope nah its the transmission, these transmissions are pieces of ****, you probaly threw a bearing on the inside" so i pulled the transmission myself thinking it was a throw out bearing; transmission is completely out the vehicle but i dont fool with tansmissions or clutches so dont know what im looking at the clutch is still on the car.

transmission is reman with only 10k on it

what do yall think or what can i look at or what should i do?

soon i will get a built one from pro performance.com but just dont have the funds at the moment

transmission is a tr3650
2002 mustang gt
first of all, the tr3650 is not a bad tranny at all. what kind of shop would say that? secondly, you pulled the tranny yourself but you dont know what you're looking at.... then why did you pull it to begin with?

seems coincidental that they changed the clutch and then ou hear a noise 50 miles later when you had no previous issues before they touched the car. I would demand the fix whatever the issues is because seems to me they caused it.

did you get a new flywheel/resurface old flywheel??

Does it feel like the clutch pedal is smooth or does it feel like it has a rough engagement? sounds like an issue with the TOB.. can anyone correct me or confirm this?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:04 PM
vortechgt504

Well they said its a pos...and after reading up on the shift fork pads are plastic and they don't hold up...after purchasing this car bone stock the transmissil. Was rebuit once from ford, then changed to a reman from ford and the third time was changed all together with a bran new on and a adjustable ford racing clutch cable from ford.....

Never had these problems on my 97 , 01, and 03 cobras

When I said I don't know what I'm looking at; I do engines not transmissions, I don't know if the clutch is line up right, or how to check these bearings, its not the same as a wheel bearing so I'm stuck.

Also my stock flywheel was resurfaced and I did get it towed back to custom muffler in kenner, la and they put on the lift (didn't even pick up a wrench) and said its the transmission...
wow! Didn't know he had x ray vision....

After he got my money he turned into a di*k

Now..... with the transmission out the car and in gear i can turn the tail 1/4 turn back and fourth (where the driveshaft would connect with the transmission) don't know if that's normal or not
Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM
vortechgt504

And clutch pedal felt the same as the old one...kind of soft but didnt engage until the top of pedal.....also with pedal to the floor you would hear a spinning sound
Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vortechgt504
And clutch pedal felt the same as the old one...kind of soft but didnt engage until the top of pedal.....also with pedal to the floor you would hear a spinning sound
im still sticking with the TOB. im pretty sure the spinning noise can come from that... and yeah the cobra had the different tranny's... T5 and T56 for the termis.

how do you know they resurfaced the flywheel correctly and its not warped, etc?

either way, id demand they rip it back apart until it drives the way you want it to.. good luck and keep us posted.