4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Side scoop fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Dominasian
1st Gear Member

Default Side scoop fell off.

Me and my buddy were driving from a car meet when a guy on a stage 1 GTI lines up and is looking forward to a race. I down shift to 3 at 65mph and we floor it, bumper to bumper for a good mile and at about 130mph he started walking away from me, then i hear like a click, guess what we were driving so fast my side scoop fell off, it was a factory one that was on clips.
I had to take out my second scoop cause i dont want to look weird with 1 only .

Anyways what side scoops you would guys suggest ? i know there are many different styles but most of them mount on a 3m double side tape and i feel like a double side tape wont do much if clips couldn't do better. Any suggestions ?
I dont want to drill anything, either go with tape or clips again, but at the same time i'd want to reinforce them, i push my car to 130mph+ every week, and buying scoops every week would be a bit of a problem Haha .

Thanks for reading.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I lost interest after, "Me and my buddy" and stopped reading after the Volkswagen GTI walked away from you at 130MPH.

Too bad you got the cheap blow-off GT scoops. My Mach 1 side scoops stay on at 150MPH.

You took off the other scoop "because I don't want to look weird with 1 only?" Who the heck can see both sides of your car at the same time???

I wouldn't worry about your side scoop blowing off. If you're doing 130MPH+ on the street every week, you'll be dead before UPS delivers the new scoop.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 10-10-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Dominasian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
I lost interest after, "Me and my buddy" and stopped reading after the Volkswagen GTI walked away from you at 130MPH.

Too bad you got the cheap blow-off GT scoops. My Mach 1 side scoops stay on at 150MPH.

You took off the other scoop "because I don't want to look weird with 1 only?" Who the heck can see both sides of your car at the same time???

I wouldn't worry about your side scoop blowing off. If you're doing 130MPH+ on the street every week, you'll be dead before UPS delivers the new scoop.
Great response i got there from you. Thanks for helping...
Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I would stay with the factory scoops....they flow better both on and off the car....plus you should be able to buy just one.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Lol. Fun thread so far. I have the stock scoops that came on my GT/CS and haven't had any issues. Maybe you just got a bad one. I think that most of them are basically identical. Maybe going scoopless is the only real solution.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Leave the scoops off and you should lower your CD by .00063. That might be enough to beat that Volkswagen. As a bonus, it will shift the center of pressure forward .2" and increase stability.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Dominasian
1st Gear Member

I've been driving fast for a long time, but this one night it flew off... The problem with buying new ones, not all of them come with hardware, and those clips are hard to find, i know i don't have any, i would assume that Ford might have them but their parts departments closes right when i get off work, sad ...
Sonic switch to another thread, I see you are the only smart one here, go talk to stang nerds they will understand you...
Old 10-11-2013, 09:22 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Try talking to a body shop about the clips to hold it on. A lot of times they may have parts that the regular parts counter cannot access. Might go back and look for the lost scoop to retrieve clips.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Duct tape fixes all.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dominasian
Great response i got there from you. Thanks for helping...
He thinks he's funny. I'm going to play a new drinking game called Sonic Shooters tonight. Whenever I read a post from Sonic that contains a smart assed response and nothing useful, I'll do a shot. Wish me luck. I might die from alcohol poisoning.

Since we were not all so forward thinking and intelligent enough to purchase the wondrous Mach 1 and its superior parts, have you considered gluing the darn things on? I had a problem with my 04 GT's hood scoop. The thing had a bolt through the hood and 3m tape on the sides and front. Even with the bolt, it kept coming loose, and I kept resetting it. Eventually I took the tape off the front edge of it and gingerly applied some of whatever I decided to use, I don't remember at this point. But I figured it wasn't like I was ever going to need to take it off, same with the side scoops... Bond em on there with something better than tape and be done with it...

Quick Reply: Side scoop fell off.