4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Weird rattling noise at low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:32 PM
GT_Yea

Default Weird rattling noise at low rpms

Hi, just got a 03 mustang gt conv with a manual transmission. Although the car runs fine I do have a rattling/grinding noise when lets say I start to get going from a dead stop.. its not always there and if I start very slowly and lift my foot off the clutch very slowly I can get it going without the rattling noise but I mean I would have to crawl to not hear the noise!!

Car shifts and drives smooth otherwise, for the life of me I cant figure out if its coming from the diff or the tranny!! Also I've noticed it more when making turns but again thats probably because I slow down and downshift into 1st gear!!

Any help appreciated,
cheers
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

So it never does it if the car is standing still?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:35 PM
GT_Yea

Originally Posted by Stevo86
no it does not!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Dominasian
1st Gear Member

If its a whining noise, then its a diff, but it only happens when you drive in first and second, sometimes you can hear diff in 3rd but rarely. The grinding noise he explained is more of a car being stalled when you don't give enough gas, for example if you let the clutch out slowly then you will hear it if you wont give enough gas then it kinda grinds and then stops right after you get pass 1300rpm in first gear, it happens to the second gear too if you try and accelerate at 5mph. Any car you stall or make the car work at the point of stalling in gear it will make such a noise but for every car its different sound.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Gotcha OP it kind of sounds like you've got some clutch chatter from a friction plate that is on the way out.

If you have some hills get to the top of one and coast down it with the car in neutral to find out whether it is powertrain related or motion related. But judging by your description my money is on the clutch.

Also just FYI rear ends can make all kinds of funny noises when they go bad. Gear "whine" is just improperly shimmed gears. Rear-ends can also clunk, howl, rattle, etc. when the bearings get worn too far.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 PM
71_340
1st Gear Member

......Also just FYI rear ends can make all kinds of funny noises when they go bad. Gear "whine" is just improperly shimmed gears. Rear-ends can also clunk, howl, rattle, etc. when the bearings get worn too far.
Couldn't agree with you more!

My rear axle makes a terrible noise, sounds like when one your front wheel bearing goes out. I pulled the differential cover and the way it looks the carrier bearing are making the noise (play). The axle shaft bearings look fine. Since I don't have all the tool to do it myself I have it done next week. I will get the pinion bearings replaced at the same time.....might as well do it right.

The wear pattern on the gears is perfect though.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 AM
davidgemmell

I think this problem is easy to solve for Import Auto Repair Services. I have been regular customer of Import Auto Repair Services and it provides expert services that will makes your car running smooth as ever. It has done a good work on my auto repair needs. It offers wide range of auto repair services including engine service, oil changes, breaks, shocks, alignment, suspension, ac service and other repair services that your car may need so, I recommends you to must visit Import Auto Repair Services.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 AM
drummer829
1st Gear Member

I had a rattle/grinding sound in my old mustang and i could only hear it in low rpms and low gear. I thought it was the clutch as well but it actually ended up being a loose heat shield. The sound from under my car was getting thrown to the front so it sounded like my engine. I know it's a long shot, but worth a look. I only noticed the sound when I was changing gears between 1st-3rd but it was fine after that.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:42 AM
roseremirez

Originally Posted by GT_Yea
Hi, just got a 03 mustang gt conv with a manual transmission. Although the car runs fine I do have a rattling/grinding noise when lets say I start to get going from a dead stop.. its not always there and if I start very slowly and lift my foot off the clutch very slowly I can get it going without the rattling noise but I mean I would have to crawl to not hear the noise!!

Car shifts and drives smooth otherwise, for the life of me I cant figure out if its coming from the diff or the tranny!! Also I've noticed it more when making turns but again thats probably because I slow down and downshift into 1st gear!!

Any help appreciated,
cheers

Don't ignore these types of noises, Sometimes its the start of a major problem. I experienced this, also gone through that type of noise but ignores and after that i was pay for it much more. you should visit to a good auto repair shop. I suggest you R & R Certified Tire And Auto LLC, they are really helpful. R & R Certified Tire And Auto LLC also offers a wide range of auto repair services including Tires change, breaks, shocks, alignment, suspension, ac service etc.