4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which tranny do I have?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Default Which tranny do I have?

I got a Mustang yesterday and just got it legal today, and it's my first Mustang. Been a blast driving it, but I am babying it also. A little back story, I traded my F150 for this car, and he only had the car for 7 weeks. Said he needed a truck. He said he didn't know much about it other than the car used to be a automatic, and was swapped to a 5 speed. So how can I figure out what trans I have? and would a T5 bolt up to a 4.6, or is a T45?

My car is a 99 GT, 4.6. I can also start the car in neutral without engaging the clutch. If that makes a difference. I think it's something to do with the neutral saftey switch? And my car is too low to get under there and look. and I don't have a lift available or a jack at the moment.

It might just be me, but the clutch is REALLY hard to mash sometimes. In heavy traffic engaging it to move foward with disengaging it just a little to move a few feet then engaging it again, it goes about half way and then i have to really push on the clutch to take the car out of gear or I'll ram the person in front of me. and it also makes a lot of noise under the car, a lot of clicking ticking. It's hard to describe.

I know this is probably a lot, so I apologize, but any help would be appreciated. Go easy on me, my first Mustang.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Cbird

Gotta be a T45 or a T3560. There is no way someone could get a T5 to bolt up without a ton of work involved haha.

There is a chance that they put a TR-3650 in which is the 01-04 trans. It bolts up just fine, I think, and is a better candidate for a swap.

The easiest way to tell from under the car is to check the drain plug. T45 drains to the passenger side, T3650 drains down.

The easiest way to tell when driving is does it make noise in 5th gear. Like a wooshing vibration kind of noise haha. Probably gets louder if you give it more gas? Am I getting somewhere here?

The clutch in my TR-3650 is really stiff and makes the "noises" all of ours do. I wouldn't be surprised if you had the same trans as us 01-04 guys from what you are saying.

Last edited by Cbird; 10-28-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:12 AM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cbird
Gotta be a T45 or a T3560. There is no way someone could get a T5 to bolt up without a ton of work involved haha.

There is a chance that they put a TR-3650 in which is the 01-04 trans. It bolts up just fine, I think, and is a better candidate for a swap.

The easiest way to tell from under the car is to check the drain plug. T45 drains to the passenger side, T3650 drains down.

The easiest way to tell when driving is does it make noise in 5th gear. Like a wooshing vibration kind of noise haha. Probably gets louder if you give it more gas? Am I getting somewhere here?

The clutch in my TR-3650 is really stiff and makes the "noises" all of ours do. I wouldn't be surprised if you had the same trans as us 01-04 guys from what you are saying.
Yeah ill try to crawl under there today and look at it and it does make that noise in 5th that you're talking about. The only way it won't grind is to let the rpms drop to about 1,000-1,200 then it goes on smooth.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Also my speedometer is off like crazy! My GPS says I'm doing 60 but the Speedo says 130! Not good
Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

More than likley a t45, a t5 would require am aftermarket bellhousing to work along with a few other things.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:11 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Well after driving my car for a while today, I realized the clutch is only hard to press when the trans warms up. I can tell its warm but the shift **** because its all aluminum. any suggestions? and in my glove box was a black tool, my dad said it was something to do with the clutch, and a UPR paper, I don't know what for though.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Cbird

Originally Posted by tangystang
Well after driving my car for a while today, I realized the clutch is only hard to press when the trans warms up. I can tell its warm but the shift **** because its all aluminum. any suggestions? and in my glove box was a black tool, my dad said it was something to do with the clutch, and a UPR paper, I don't know what for though.
I'm not sure about the clutch issue. Mine is pretty stiff all the time. Could

The tool could be a clutch positioning tool. Could also be a locking lug nut key if you have locking lugs.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Nawwz

Originally Posted by Cbird
I'm not sure about the clutch issue. Mine is pretty stiff all the time. Could

The tool could be a clutch positioning tool. Could also be a locking lug nut key if you have locking lugs.
Cbird, now you've got me curious: the "whooshing vibration" noise you describe, could it also be described as a crackling of sorts? Kind of like leaves crunching, but a lot more intensified.. metallic, if you will. Metallic grinding? I'm obviously having a hard time describing it haha.

Furthermore, if it is indeed that noise, I'm also hearing it when I pop into neutral and coast (i.e., when I'm approaching a red light). Have you had or heard about any such issues?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM
71_340
1st Gear Member

The previous owner sold it after a few weeks??? That should have been a good indication that you are getting somebody else's problems.