4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Throw-out bearing noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
mustangfanatic92

Default Throw-out bearing noise?

Ok guys i am new here, usually i can find a solution for my car without posting but i have looked and looked so maybe you guys can help me out!

I Have a 2000 Mustang GT, and about 2 months ago my throw out bearing was making a lot of noise so i had it replaced, was no big deal. When i got it back i had two things happen. The major one being that when i am driving i have a weird vibration anywhere between 45 to about 65, the peek of the vibration is right at 50! Now at first i thought it was the drive train. So i rotated the drive shaft several times, didn't help. Then i thought maybe something was out of line so i dropped the whole trans again, couldn't find anything. I know now i should have replaced the whole clutch when it was out but my clutch is very strong so i didn't bother with it. Now the second thing is i can hear my throw out bearing still making noise..... its brand new! why would it be making noise..... i bought it at the auto parts store near my house and i can only hear the noise when im sitting still in neutral when its quite around( its not loud but i can here it) it sounds like metal grinding.

I have been trying to find a solution for this for some time now and it would be a huge help if i could get some ideas !( Preferably ones that don't have to do with dropping the trans but if it has to happen than so be it.)
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it !
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

If you bought any brand of ToB aside from the one from Ford that's why. I did a budget clutch job for a buddy and he insisted on using a duralast autozone brand clutch and ToB. It was squeaking 3 months later.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:25 AM
mustangfanatic92

Originally Posted by Stevo86
If you bought any brand of ToB aside from the one from Ford that's why. I did a budget clutch job for a buddy and he insisted on using a duralast autozone brand clutch and ToB. It was squeaking 3 months later.
.... That would explain the noise its making, i guess i am going to pull the transmission again, o well. Thanks for the advise!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:27 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

was the pilot bearing changed when the trans was out? worn pilot bearing lets the input shaft move around with rotational force of the clutch plate. This can put the clutch plate slightly out of alignment and cause a vibration. It can also make a squeaking or squealing , grinding noise if dry and worn out.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

^This is true. The squeaking is probably your cheap ToB but the vibration I have no clue. Be sure to look around when you're under there to figure out your real problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 PM
mustangfanatic92

Will do guys but yes i did replace the pilot bearing when i was under there last time ill probably replace it again just because its cheep!
Im going to drop it sometime during christmas break it doesn't seam to be hurting anything right now but if it starts to make more noise ill probably do something sooner !
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 PM
mustangfanatic92

Default Different problem

Ok so i am new hear and i cant really find out how to post a new thread so im just going to use this one again. haha

So about a year ago my check engine light came on and it read lean, so i took it to a mechanic and he said he could not find anything that could be causing it.... about a week later it went off, then came back on then went off then back on...... continuously for about the past year. I installed a air to fuel ratio gauge to see what was going on and it read lean when the light was on and it was normal when it wasn't.... any ideas as to what it could be ?

Thanks for your help!