4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach 460 and convertible top

Old 11-02-2013, 05:46 PM
01tripleblackvert

Default Mach 460 and convertible top

Hi everyone awhile back I asked a question about how hard would it be to put the mach 460 system into a car that didn't come with it. Well I found a complete one in a junkyard door speakers, rear speakers, amps, harness, and all. I have to go back tomorrow to get the harness and amps. But my question is where does the harness unplug from the rest of the car. In other words where does it stop so I can unplug it and not have to get a full harness. My next question is my convertible top did not work when I bought the car. It didn't make a sound, so I changed the relays that are next to the motor. Then it made a sound like it was working. So I did some research and found out that the top motors have trans fluid in them. I didn't know that being that this is my first convertible. So I checked online how much should be in it and so I put some it then it actually sounded like it was spinning over. Like when a motor turns over but doesn't crank up. It would go down but not up. So today when I went to the junkyard to look I got the motor from a parked 99 v6 convertible the same one that I got the mach system out of. And when I went to put it in I added fluid and the same thing happened. It would go down but not come back up. And since it wont come back up I've had to put it up manually. And the last time I did it when I went to latch it. The guide pins were too far back and wouldn't line up and the top it self looked really wrinkled like it had been down a while but it hadn't. Then I went to put the windows up to put the car cover on it and the elbow in the top frame above the front windows is bowed. And I had to leave the windows cracked. I'm replacing the top here soon since it has turned like a greyish color and it's supposed to be black. What do you think it could be, top cylinders? If so ill get those tomorrow too when I go back to get the harness and amps for the mach 460 system.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Wow, yeah you have some issues there.

Follow the lines from the top motor to the lift cylinders, check for leaks at the fittings. When you get to the cylinders, if there's any oil on the shaft beyond minor seepage then the seals are blown - just replace the cylinder(s) in that case. Latemodelrestoration.com carries all that stuff should you not be able to find it elsewhere.

Regarding the Mach system, in your situation I think it would be much simpler to install and wire up aftermarket stuff. With all the trouble you will go through to get those amps and speakers in, the sound they put out is a bit on the disappointing side. The amps are ok, not great. The speakers suck. If you're installing all that stuff from scratch, and having to figure out the wiring on the amps and all the other bs involved, imo it's not anywhere close to worthwhile.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 11-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:08 PM
01tripleblackvert

Well that's what I thought when it came to the top cylinders ill try to et them tomorrow. And what do you think of this idea ill just keep the mach 460 rear speakers boxers and front teeter holders and put some aftermarket ones in. With an aftermarket headunit that has the ability to connect to an ipod.