4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

convertible drivers side window alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Ok, from what I can tell is the back window is not going up far enough. there is an 1/8 of a in difference between how high the passenger side go up and the driver side. Is there a way to adjust the rear window? I hate to rip it all apart and there be no way to adjust it.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If the rear 1/4 window isn't going up all the way, give it a little help. Grab the glass and pull up on it while simultaneously hitting the 'up' button.

I have to do that with my passenger side 1/4 glass, the motor has just gotten weak. Something I'll need to replace next year when it's 'top down' season again.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

tried that didn't work lol.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Yes, the window glass is adjustable. I did this recently on my wifey’s ’98 vert after replacing the window glass, regulator and door hinge pins. Take the door panel, inner window weather stripping and the vapor barrier sheet (be careful not to rip it) off the door. There are four 11mm or 12mm bolts with matching brackets in the door that control the in/out of the glass as it slides & how high up the glass goes. The bolts/brackets that control the in/out of the door are on top of the door and were covered by the inner weather stripping. One towards the front and one towards the back of the door. The bolts/brackets that control how high the window goes are in little recessed areas an inch or so below the top of the door. One in the front and one in the back (near the upper left corner of the door if your sitting in the drivers seat). Loosen all 4 bolts but don’t remove them. You want the brackets to be loose and slide easily. You may need to lower the door a little to get the brackets to loosen.

Now, with all 4 bolts loose and the window lowered a little get in the car and close the door. First you adjust the in/out of the window. Slowly raise the glass till it stops and seats in the ‘verts weather stripping. Making sure the brackets at the top of the door slide into the hooks on the window glass. Now tighten all 4 bolts. Then open/close the door a couple times paying close attention to the window glass and the ‘vert weather stripping. Make sure the window glass isn’t binding/catching on the weather stripping. If it is, lower the glass a little and barely loosen the bolts in the recessed areas in the door. Then lightly nudge them down a little and tighten them back up. Raise the window again and retest. repeat as often as necessary till you get the window aligned properly. It took me about 5 minutes to get it right on my wifey’s ride.

Good luck...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Now, my above post assumes that it is the main door window glass that is out of alignment. It is hard to tell from the photo’s, but the rear quarter window may be the problem here. If the main window glass seals nicely against the ‘vert top weather stripping then its alignment may be just fine. Which would point to the quarter window as the problem. There are similar adjusting bolts/brackets for the rear quarter window that you should check out. It may be that the rear window isn’t sliding up all the way and could be binding/blocked on something. Good luck...
Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Previous post states it is the rear window...

Yes, remove the rear seat and interior quarter panel. You should find adjustments there or the glass being loose on the mounts. Without vetting onto the panel, it will be hard to sort out.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

I tore it all apart last night and wow there are allot of ways to adjust the rear glass lol. I got it really close. I will post some pictures in a little bit.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Whitedarkness23

you Might want to check your door hinges for slack. that was the cause of my window gap didn't figure that out for two years.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitedarkness23
you Might want to check your door hinges for slack. that was the cause of my window gap didn't figure that out for two years.
There is a little play in the hinges but I got lazy and haven't fixed that. Its on my to-do list lol.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Whitedarkness23

Originally Posted by the5schlueters
There is a little play in the hinges but I got lazy and haven't fixed that. Its on my to-do list lol.
Well that is what fixed my problem when I had a big window gap.

Last edited by Whitedarkness23; 11-12-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: convertible drivers side window alignment