MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   help please (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/704132-help-please.html)

mojodet 12-07-2013 11:43 PM

help please

i'm sure you guys are used to newbies like me so here goes. I bought an 03 gt and have little knowledge of cars but have always wanted one. What I bought ended up being modded with 02 sensors unplugged etc. after reading numerous posts in this forum I realized my car was prolly used at the track exclusively . I plugged the sensors back in and now I smell fuel like it is way to rich. I pulled a code that said rich fuel in bank 2. a mechanic told me it has stage 2 cams, performance intake and throttle body, ignition coils, lowered suspension, bigger sway bars(whatever that is), b&m shifter, 40lb injectors, long tube headers(sounds like a beast), and has everything installed to run nitrous just not hooked up. he said it may need tuned. it came with something called an sct flash tuner and he said he tuned it but stills smells rich to me, my question is can this car be made to be an every day driver without spending a fortune and how do I know if the tuner is right for the car without knowing what it is programmed for and if I get it dynod and tuned can I use this tuner or do I have to buy another one and do I have to tell them what mods it has when they tune it because i'm really not sure. a lot of questions I know but any advice will be greatly appreciated cause i'm lost right now

Stevo86 12-08-2013 08:26 AM

OK #1 and this may be the most important thing, when a car "smells rich" it's usually lean. I know that it doesn't make much sense but trust me if it smells like there is fuel coming out of the exhaust you're actually lean. But if you have a rich code, I would check your fuel trims.

#2 Sure you can make it a daily, just get whatever is not straight with it fixed up and you should be fine. That tuner will work just fine if you put it on a dyno.

mojodet 12-08-2013 02:00 PM

Thanks for the help Stevo. I just wasn't sure if I needed to get it straightened out before I have it dynod or if they can make the adjustments when dynoing ut.

petrock 12-08-2013 03:31 PM

Sorry, but smelling the exhaust has always been silly to me. Your nose isn’t that accurate (unless your a smell tester at a perfume manufacturer). Its better to hook up a scan tool of some kind to find out what is really going on. Since it is throwing a rich condition code, then you have a good place to start. It is very likely that the tune that is currently in the car is causing the rich condition though.

It would be a good idea to do a good tune up on the car before taking it to the dyno (e.g. spark plugs, wires, clean MAF sensor, clean/replace air filter, replace fuel filter, change engine oil & filter) etc.

Originally Posted by mojodet (Post 8319143)
Thanks for the help Stevo. I just wasn't sure if I needed to get it straightened out before I have it dynod or if they can make the adjustments when dynoing ut.

Most dyno shops charge by the hour, so I would recommend getting as much fixed as possible before bringing it to the dyne shop. Its also a good idea to tell them what you have installed (that you know of). That can save them a lot of time and you a lot of money. Also, you might want to ask them to tune it for a daily driver since it was probably previously tuned for the track.

Good luck...

mojodet 12-08-2013 11:16 PM

Thanks pet. Your post is helpful. That's what I needed to know.

Stevo86 12-09-2013 06:09 AM

You certainly should get everything fixed before putting it on the rollers, I can't tell you how many cars I've taken off the dyno because they weren't right when they arrived.

However if you truly suspect the tune there is only one way to find out.