4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01-04 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I ran 13.90 @ 99 in my stock 99 GT 5-speed way back in the day. These cars can run 12s on good suspension (UPR) and sticky tires. They have a ton of potential.
my stock 3.31 auto 08 GT ran about the same times as well
Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I am most likely gonna pay off the Charger and get a summer cruiser only. The RT can run low 13's tuned and 13's flat with a converter, so that's my fast fat car lol I want something fun to drive and cruise in and I miss the hell out of driving a stick shift! Funny how a 14 second loud stick car feels like a 12 second car!
I'll never buy an automatic for my sports cars, EVER. No way I'll sacrifice my manual for a couple tenths are so. I need that interaction between car and man. It is fun with my B and swing the rear end out.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crash
Damn, you must have been driving like a bat out of hell. Stealth, are you ever gonna make up your kind lol. These GTs sound great with a nice set up. Just don't expect to kill it from a roll if you do those mods. But damn, I have a lot of fun in my B.
I've been known to bang a few gears from time to time.

my stock 3.31 auto 08 GT ran about the same times as well
One of my biggest regrets about my '06 GT was that I never ran it on the quarter mile. I'm sure it had a 12 in it with the stock drivetrain, but I was more interested in open track and autocross with that car. I did however take my stock 2011 GT to the dragstrip and ran 12.20 @ 116. (with a UPR X-pipe and UPR tune though)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:08 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The bottom line is the 4.6 from 96-04 does not respond well to bolt ons, the only way to make power is through forced induction. From a power pull standpoint without forced induction or spray there not gonna stack up against any 2005+ mustangs or any LS1s of the same years or newer, basically due to the lack of displacement. Even with cams and full bolt ons a 4.6 2v is a far cry from making good numbers compared to the others.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

^ +1

what about the 5.4 2v? How are they with bolt ons? I've seen a few mustangs with these engines, I'm guessing they're from an F-150? I don't know, but I thought about it once my 4.6 goes.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:43 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
I'll never buy an automatic for my sports cars, EVER. No way I'll sacrifice my manual for a couple tenths are so. I need that interaction between car and man. It is fun with my B and swing the rear end out.
Theres an odd story behind why I got it in an auto, but I am the same way about manual/auto trans. But I have poor impulse control and will just end up in trouble anyways lol

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I've been known to bang a few gears from time to time.

One of my biggest regrets about my '06 GT was that I never ran it on the quarter mile. I'm sure it had a 12 in it with the stock drivetrain, but I was more interested in open track and autocross with that car. I did however take my stock 2011 GT to the dragstrip and ran 12.20 @ 116. (with a UPR X-pipe and UPR tune though)
Out of all the cars I owned the 08 GT supercharged was the one I missed and regretted the most. I should have just kept it! It would have been paid off by now, and I could have still gotten a new AWD Charger!

Crazy time for stock BTW. That's what my 09 Charger with a blower ran on low boost!

Originally Posted by uberstang1
The bottom line is the 4.6 from 96-04 does not respond well to bolt ons, the only way to make power is through forced induction. From a power pull standpoint without forced induction or spray there not gonna stack up against any 2005+ mustangs or any LS1s of the same years or newer, basically due to the lack of displacement. Even with cams and full bolt ons a 4.6 2v is a far cry from making good numbers compared to the others.
I don't expect much from a $4-6k dollar 20 something year old car

Unless of course if it was a Fox body. Then I'd just throw slicks and a 200 shot on it. Run 10's

JK

Originally Posted by tangystang
^ +1

what about the 5.4 2v? How are they with bolt ons? I've seen a few mustangs with these engines, I'm guessing they're from an F-150? I don't know, but I thought about it once my 4.6 goes.
Better than the older 4.6, but I doubt I'd ever find a 5.4 Cobra R
Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 AM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

The Linclon Navigators (not sure which year/s) came with a 5.4 DOHC. It's not exactly a Cobra R engine, but the platform is there.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:02 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Are these year Mustang's pretty quick with bolt on's?

I have been cruising Craigslists and seen some for cheap ($4-6k) and in good condition. Considering a summer only cruiser car. Just something to look good in, custom tune, exhaust, sound system etc. not so much a racer but still want some speed to it.

Won't do a whole lot to it. Maybe some 3.73's, torque converter, driveshaft sort of deal.
Sounds like you want my car... 5spd, 3.73, tune, exhaust, sound system, anyone looks good in it. LOL
Old 12-31-2013, 02:39 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I never have seen anything really impressive with a 5.4 4v swap honestly from a Lincoln. Very unique though.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 PM
I8urGM

Quick Reply: 01-04 Mustang GT