4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear end Misaligned

Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
the car launches just fine. So adjusting the upper control arms with really more if that much?
Proper pinion angle is key and will make a big notice with the 60ft at the track.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

No answer to my question anyone?

I still think if you are installing the rear end using factor mounting points (adjustable control arms or not) you have no input to where it lands in relation ship to the center of the car.

Everything i can recall in regard to pinion angle is to provide proper lubrication and to improve the mechanical advantage of the universal joint therefore requiring less force (Torque) to turn the pinion causing less wear. Most drive lines require some degree of angle, if not for lubrication purposes then to provide enough force to rotate the bearings within the universal joints.

I,m sure you are aware of drive line angle, starting at the crankshaft and ending with the pinion. Although this is the kind of stuff i like about these machines and the engineering behind it, I wouldn't expect to shave 0.010's off your time based on a degree or two.

I think you would be better off trying to control the amount of downward dive the pinion takes during launches.

IDK maybe i don't understand
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the pinion angle at this point.

Would an alignment shop be able to center the rear end? Or is that something I'll have to figure out myself or take it to somewhere else?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

how can you adjust pinion angle without adjustable control arms?

i plan on lowering my mach but will need to adjust pinion angle but dont plan on lca or upper ca right now
Old 01-04-2014, 08:56 AM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

I was hoping someone a little more experienced with rear suspensions would have offered an opinion.

The first thing i would do is make sure the control arms are installed correctly, do you know the name or kit number of the arms, if so send it we can check to see if there are left and right or inside or outside positions. This could be the reason.

Just a couple of questions, is one wheel closer to the wheel well than the other?
how do you know if off by an inch?
What does the driveshaft look like can you tell if it is on an angle?

If it wasn't so cold 9 degrees today, i would go crawl under my car just to check although i can tell you my wheels are equal distances from the wheel well i know this because i want wheel spacers to move the wheels out i think it just looks better.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 AM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

As far as i know you can't adjust the pinon angle without having adjustable control arms. Again i wished someone with more experience would chime in i know some control arms have cams or eccentric that can provide some adjustment.

Pinion angle is typically represented in ranges 3 - 5 degrees, etc so there is no one degree you would be looking for (Unless you a top fuel dragster with a static rear end)

My car is lowered an inch using Eibach springs and i did nothing to correct or adjust pinion angle runs just fine however i only go to the track once or twice a year however there are many back roads in my area that have lots of tire marks
Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 AM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

BTW luke nice car
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
I have notice that my rear axle is shifted over to the driver-side of the car maybe an Inch. I'm not sure if it is square to the front axle or not. I'll be going to an alignment shop later this week but was looking for some input before. Anybody seen this before? Car drive great doesn't seem to have any problems. Thanks for your help.
Drop some plumb bobs and measure the axle on the left vs. right sides. Measure from the plums bob string to axle flange also from a fixed reference on the torque box to the plumb bob. This should give you an idea what you need to do.

If you are still stock suspension wise it sounds more like worn bushings or damaged (bent) upper control arms
Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Yeah everything has been replaced in the rear end. I guess I will just see how the alignment shop does with it.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJL
BTW luke nice car
thats man. my stock baby lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end Misaligned