4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear end Misaligned

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear end Misaligned

I have notice that my rear axle is shifted over to the driver-side of the car maybe an Inch. I'm not sure if it is square to the front axle or not. I'll be going to an alignment shop later this week but was looking for some input before. Anybody seen this before? Car drive great doesn't seem to have any problems. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:14 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Were you parked on a hill? Have your recently hit anything? If im not mistaken these axles are fixed...no adjustments can be made...I know thats true for 99+ atleast...Im not too familiar with the 1996 mustangs, should be similar set up though.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:25 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

I haven't hit anything.... I have replaced the LCA and UCA that are adjustable. I just swapped the rear end but the issue was there before too. I have read that sometimes they are out .25-5" from factory but mines a good 1". The only thing that can really be adjusted is the UCA and the ride height.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Well at any rate if i get it figured out i'll post it here. But i'm thinking if it is square to the front still, I will just space the one side appropriately. I can't really think of why not?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
I have replaced the LCA and UCA that are adjustable.
theres your problem. you need to adjust the control arms to center the rear end. also check your pinion angle
Old 01-01-2014, 11:11 AM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Just curious, whats the car react like when you put your foot in to it, does it launch straight? or does it want to go sideways
Old 01-01-2014, 03:51 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

school boy nailed it. When you disconnected the control arms to swap in new ones you must have let the rear end shift on you. Some guys use one of THESE which eliminates that issue. You will need to adjust the control arms until the rear end is centered again. HERE is a bit about pinion angle as well which you will need to set with your adjustments.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:27 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If you have adjustable control arms I wouldn't take it to any joe smoe chain place and expect them to be able to adjust everything correctly, they defiantly won't have a clue when it comes to the pinion angle.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Ok not being a big suspension Guy, i have to ask. Adjustable control arms can adjust pinion angle, wheel base and from what i understand can be adjusted to correct award launches, you can adjust it to sqwat or rise under load as well but if i recall correctly you would ave to change the mounting points of the control arms on the car for that.

Even control arms which have Heim joints have spacers that fill the space between the mounting points on the body and axle, you pretty much don't have any say in it all lands in relationship to the center of the car?

If this is not the case please explain
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

the car launches just fine. So adjusting the upper control arms with really more if that much?

Quick Reply: Rear end Misaligned