4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How many miles is to many miles? I need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default How many miles is to many miles? I need some opinions

Hey everyone, so I have been looking at getting a 2000-2004 Mustang GT for about 3 weeks now or so and I'm almost to the point of buying one and actually went to look at one the other day which is now making me want one more and I'm now way more impatient haha. Anyway, I found a few that are around the 80k mile mark but are about a 4 hour drive from me. I also found a few that are much closer that are almost at or just over 100k miles. All of them are stick. Being at the mileage they are all at I'm sure they will probably going to be needing a clutch before to long. But from what I'm seeing parts that you would think are normally pretty expensive to fix are really not to terrible on these cars due to them having a huge aftermarket. Clutches don't seem to be to terrible, flywheels are fairly expensive it looks like but not to bad. What other things may start breaking or wearing out around 100k miles on these cars? I'm just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and drive to go see these other cars and hope I can get into them or if I should not really worry about it to much and save some more money and just get into the cheaper "higher" mileage ones. Then my payment would be lower since they are roughly $1000 cheaper then the ones that have less miles. I had a 96' thunderbird that had the 4.6L and after I got the tranny rebuilt it ran really strong for having 129k miles. I know a lot of it comes down to how the car has been driven in the past. Basically long story short, should I worry so much about mileage on these cars? I know I probably should think twice about a car that has 250k miles, but 100k? This will be a daily driver, and I plan to do some basic bolt on mods. But nothing crazy. I apologize for the slight rambling lol, thanks for any help and insight you guys can give me. I'm new to the Mustang world, so I'm just trying to soak up as much information as I possibly can.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by iMuf
Hey everyone, so I have been looking at getting a 2000-2004 Mustang GT for about 3 weeks now or so and I'm almost to the point of buying one and actually went to look at one the other day which is now making me want one more and I'm now way more impatient haha. Anyway, I found a few that are around the 80k mile mark but are about a 4 hour drive from me. I also found a few that are much closer that are almost at or just over 100k miles. All of them are stick. Being at the mileage they are all at I'm sure they will probably going to be needing a clutch before to long. But from what I'm seeing parts that you would think are normally pretty expensive to fix are really not to terrible on these cars due to them having a huge aftermarket. Clutches don't seem to be to terrible, flywheels are fairly expensive it looks like but not to bad. What other things may start breaking or wearing out around 100k miles on these cars? I'm just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and drive to go see these other cars and hope I can get into them or if I should not really worry about it to much and save some more money and just get into the cheaper "higher" mileage ones. Then my payment would be lower since they are roughly $1000 cheaper then the ones that have less miles. I had a 96' thunderbird that had the 4.6L and after I got the tranny rebuilt it ran really strong for having 129k miles. I know a lot of it comes down to how the car has been driven in the past. Basically long story short, should I worry so much about mileage on these cars? I know I probably should think twice about a car that has 250k miles, but 100k? This will be a daily driver, and I plan to do some basic bolt on mods. But nothing crazy. I apologize for the slight rambling lol, thanks for any help and insight you guys can give me. I'm new to the Mustang world, so I'm just trying to soak up as much information as I possibly can.
Your post is a giant glob of text that is more trouble to read than it is worth. In fact I had to format (see below) it to read it:

================================================== =======
Hey everyone, so I have been looking at getting a 2000-2004 Mustang GT for about 3 weeks now or so and I'm almost to the point of buying one and actually went to look at one the other day which is now making me want one more and I'm now way more impatient haha.

Anyway, I found a few that are around the 80k mile mark but are about a 4 hour drive from me. I also found a few that are much closer that are almost at or just over 100k miles. All of them are stick.

Being at the mileage they are all at I'm sure they will probably going to be needing a clutch before to long. But from what I'm seeing parts that you would think are normally pretty expensive to fix are really not to terrible on these cars due to them having a huge aftermarket.

Clutches don't seem to be to terrible, flywheels are fairly expensive it looks like but not to bad. What other things may start breaking or wearing out around 100k miles on these cars? I'm just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and drive to go see these other cars and hope I can get into them or if I should not really worry about it to much and save some more money and just get into the cheaper "higher" mileage ones.

Then my payment would be lower since they are roughly $1000 cheaper then the ones that have less miles.

I had a 96' thunderbird that had the 4.6L and after I got the tranny rebuilt it ran really strong for having 129k miles. I know a lot of it comes down to how the car has been driven in the past.

Basically long story short, should I worry so much about mileage on these cars? I know I probably should think twice about a car that has 250k miles, but 100k? This will be a daily driver, and I plan to do some basic bolt on mods. But nothing crazy.

I apologize for the slight rambling lol, thanks for any help and insight you guys can give me. I'm new to the Mustang world, so I'm just trying to soak up as much information as I possibly can.

As for your dilemna, I would not even think about financing a 10 to 14 year old car unless I was to be the very well documented second or third owner. Run a CarFax report and if it has passed through more than one auction (or even one) walk away--it has something wrong with it.

Also keep in mind that very low mileage examples (< 50k miles) have not been driven enough and will have problems resulting from that. Higher mileage cars (> 125k) owned by more than two previous owners will likely have an undocumented and poor maintenance history--and maybe "beaten to crap" to boot...
Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yep, the trick to miles is what kind of care has the car seen. I'd rather drive a 240,000 mile Mustang that has been cared for rather than a 50,000 mile car that was beaten to crap.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM
302_Mustang
1st Gear Member

My 2000 Mustang GT had 202K and It wasn't babied. Ran fine until I totaled it in a freak accident
Old 01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

The truth is that you take a risk anytime you buy a used vehicle. Just try to go into the purchase with as much mechanical knowledge as you can and look for the most obvious things first. Try to take a test drive for a good 30 minutes to an hour and see how the car behaves. Other than that there isn't much else you can do. Odds are you're gonna learn stuff the hard way though. I know I have.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 PM
71_340
1st Gear Member

A documented maintenance history is way more important then mileage. Some low mileage cars were just driven in/around town and hardly ever seen a highway; the worst you can do to a car.

If you don't know anything about cars take it to a Ford dealer for a PPI.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about miles. I have a 2001 Nissan frontier with 95K miles on it, which are extremely low for a truck in Texas. It had 4 melted pistons, the carpets were full of dirt, the paint has etching all over it and the body has dings.

On the flip side, I have an 04 Saturn Vue with 180K miles on it and it's nearly perfect. I have a stack of records on it as well.

Just find one that runs good. Pro tip of the day, when buying from a car lot, always check to see if the Service Engine Soon light comes on when you turn the key to "on"
Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

I would recommend a car with the fewest number of owners in the mileage range you are looking at. The transmission will most likely be in better shape although not guaranteed. Inspect the car thoroughly and take a nice test drive that includes some highway driving, Look underneath for rust, etc.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default last Reply

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Your post is a giant glob of text that is more trouble to read than it is worth. In fact I had to format (see below) it to read it:

Hey everyone, so I have been looking at getting a 2000-2004 Mustang GT for about 3 weeks now or so and I'm almost to the point of buying one and actually went to look at one the other day which is now making me want one more and I'm now way more impatient haha.

Anyway, I found a few that are around the 80k mile mark but are about a 4 hour drive from me. I also found a few that are much closer that are almost at or just over 100k miles. All of them are stick.

Being at the mileage they are all at I'm sure they will probably going to be needing a clutch before to long. But from what I'm seeing parts that you would think are normally pretty expensive to fix are really not to terrible on these cars due to them having a huge aftermarket.

Clutches don't seem to be to terrible, flywheels are fairly expensive it looks like but not to bad. What other things may start breaking or wearing out around 100k miles on these cars? I'm just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and drive to go see these other cars and hope I can get into them or if I should not really worry about it to much and save some more money and just get into the cheaper "higher" mileage ones.

Then my payment would be lower since they are roughly $1000 cheaper then the ones that have less miles.

I had a 96' thunderbird that had the 4.6L and after I got the tranny rebuilt it ran really strong for having 129k miles. I know a lot of it comes down to how the car has been driven in the past.

Basically long story short, should I worry so much about mileage on these cars? I know I probably should think twice about a car that has 250k miles, but 100k? This will be a daily driver, and I plan to do some basic bolt on mods. But nothing crazy.

I apologize for the slight rambling lol, thanks for any help and insight you guys can give me. I'm new to the Mustang world, so I'm just trying to soak up as much information as I possibly can.

As for your dilemna, I would not even think about financing a 10 to 14 year old car unless I was to be the very well documented second or third owner. Run a CarFax report and if it has passed through more than one auction (or even one) walk away--it has something wrong with it.

Also keep in mind that very low mileage examples (< 50k miles) have not been driven enough and will have problems resulting from that. Higher mileage cars (> 125k) owned by more than two previous owners will likely have an undocumented and poor maintenance history--and maybe "beaten to crap" to boot...
I found you reply funny (not in a bad way lol) you must be a writer. My Daughter just last year got her BA in creative writing and these thing bug the sh** out of her too. as for original poster I got your point lol. no harm just being funny.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default Mileage

Originally Posted by iMuf
Keep looking the deals are out there. all these replies have very valid points.if you do your own work repairs can be enjoyable. I found my car 2 1/2 hours from my house. the guy wanted 10k I offered 8k and he took it. it had 43k miles, he owned it for 5 years and only put 2k on during his ownership and car was garaged and never seen rain/snow. just be persistant. Goog Luck on your persuit of happyness, these cars are fun.
Attached Thumbnails How many miles is to many miles? I need some opinions-img_20140113_155423_660.jpg