4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03 and 04 GT need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
BMWiduch

Default 03 and 04 GT need help!

Alright, here's the deal.

2003 Mustang GT is totaled out, I bought back from Insurance.
2004 Mustang GT is a rolling shell no engine, trans, interior.
Just the suspension, front and rear end, and that kinda stuff.

Here's the thing. The 2003 is a 4.6L Automatic. The 2004 was a factory 4.6L 5 speed. Now, my question is... Will my transmission/driveshaft bolt up fine without any problem??

I mean I get the angle of the driveshaft has to be at a certain angle, etc but as far as the mounting and what not of the trans, should it bolt up just fine? I mean obviously they both have 8.8 Rear Ends, the whole Track-Lok setup and what not just alike...

I'm doing a complete swap from one car to the other.

Any help and or advice is appreciated!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BMWiduch
Alright, here's the deal.

2003 Mustang GT is totaled out, I bought back from Insurance.
2004 Mustang GT is a rolling shell no engine, trans, interior.
Just the suspension, front and rear end, and that kinda stuff.

Here's the thing. The 2003 is a 4.6L Automatic. The 2004 was a factory 4.6L 5 speed. Now, my question is... Will my transmission/driveshaft bolt up fine without any problem??

I mean I get the angle of the driveshaft has to be at a certain angle, etc but as far as the mounting and what not of the trans, should it bolt up just fine? I mean obviously they both have 8.8 Rear Ends, the whole Track-Lok setup and what not just alike...

I'm doing a complete swap from one car to the other.

Any help and or advice is appreciated!
I doubt you will have much problem. It doesn't benefit the car companies to make different shells for an auto or manual during the assembly process. Each shell would be stamped with bolt holes, etc for an auto, manual, gt, v6 or convertible.
The only issue may be the fitment of the interior bezel for the shifter, but since you have those parts, don't forget to swap those as well
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM
TheDarkKnight
1st Gear Member

Should be no problem since you're swapping everything out. That should include wiring harnesses and ECU. But there's no difference in the basic shell of the car like Steel Pony said...