4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Has anyone installed a Performance Automatic valve body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:55 AM
turbohvn

Default Has anyone installed a Performance Automatic valve body?

Hello all,

A newbie to the forum here, so be gentle.

I just picked up a 99 GT convetible that was owned by a hoarder. This car had basically been stored for 14 years in a heated garage. With only 16k miles it is virtually "new". I have gone through the car, replaced all fluids, battery, tires, filters, hoses etc. No issues with mechanicals on car. Everything works, and it drives fine.
My only complaint, as this is my first automatic, is that the transmission is "no fun to drive". So, I was going to install a shift kit, but decided to go with a Performance Automatic valve body instead. Before I install it, I wanted to get opinions from others that have done the same. My long term plans for this car are not extreme performance wise so consider the car will basically remain stock. I also own a 91 LX and that has always been my "performance toy" as far a mods.
I just want the trans in this 99 to wake up a bit.
So, from those that have done this mod, what lessons did you learn if any, and what should I expect. I don't want "neck snapping" shifts during commuter driving, but I hope for some criispness during hard acceleration/shifts.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 AM
turbohvn

Come on guys... someone out there must have installed a P/A valve body in their 99 - 04. Help a new guy make a decision on installing this. Just looking for someone that has done it and was it worth the effort/$ a or were they disappointed.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:16 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

I just looked into this my self and came to the conclusion that adding an aftermarket VB to an otherwise stock trans is a good move, they help them last longer under hard usage.

As far as shift firmness, all the VB suppliers offer several levels of this, you just need to talk to them and find out what would work best for you.

The PA valve bodies are highly spoken of, my torque converter guy recommended them. But they are a little pricey, I went with one from Silverfox. Dan, the guy that runs it is well regarded for 4r70w trans stuff and his prices are more affordable.

He runs the forum below and will answer questions there:

http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/

I haven't received my VB yet, it should come in a day or two so I can't give you any usage feedback on it yet.