4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bad Starter Acting Like Bad Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Oh, you can buy inline fuse holders at any FLAPS.

I you do this a lot, or are like me and enjoy having tools about, a DC current clamp makes it easier.

I have had this 80 A unit from Extech for several years--it will measure mA more accurately than the 200 or 400 A adapters, and can handle starters and charging on most bikes--not cars though...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If after charging for what should have been an appropriate time the battery can only muster 11 V then it has a dead cell...

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
UPDATE POST #6

Today I tried jumping the battery again to no avail. Even after charging I wasn't reading anything greater than 11 volts.

Put my fancy railroad triplett meter in series to see what kind of current was being drawn from the battery with nothing on, and since I wasn't sure what to expect I figured maybe 10-15 mils...

150 mA were shown however. Decided to start pulling fuses under the hood.

Got to fuse 6, a 40A maxi fuse, pulled it and current went completely away.
Fuse 6: Instrument Cluster, PCM

I remember last year sometime that another member on here was having issues with battery drainage, as are others from time to time. That member pulled fuses and I believe he came to some conclusion about the PCM not going to sleep.

Does anyone have that link, or remember it or what happened, as well as a next course of action?

Cliffy, if you get a PM and see this, it's because I am about to PM you a link.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 02-08-2014, 02:16 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Originally Posted by cliffyk
If after charging for what should have been an appropriate time the battery can only muster 11 V then it has a dead cell...
Yea, I got that part.. battery is a lost cause (again lol)

BUT

Can I still perform the load test on the battery if it's voltage is low?

I was still measuring the 150 mA draw on the bad battery...now I just need to do the put it to sleep process and see if it goes down.

Will a bad battery affect my findings?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Oh, just don't melt your wire sort of thing.

I've melted some **** at work, I'm not too worried about that then.

One more question before I go eye something up... if I don't have a fully charged battery (say 10-11 volts instead of 14-15) can I still run this load test and get accurate results?

Seems like no matter how low the battery is (to the point where it still powers everything) I can still see if the PCM is going to sleep after 40-50 minutes right?
The PCM will not power up properly with less than 10.0 V; however you may be able to detetmine something. A fully charged battery should deliver 12.6 V after stabilising for 20 minutes or so (after charging)--you should really fix that problem first...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:27 PM
72MachOne99GT

UGH

so I need another battery before I can even go about trouble shooting again.

just kill me now

If i thought it'd stay around 11 volts I'd go out and do it, but if it doesn't fire up properly with less than 10 volts, I can't make the assumption I'll even be doing anything productive.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

UGH

so I need another battery before I can even go about trouble shooting again.

just kill me now

If i thought it'd stay around 11 volts I'd go out and do it, but if it doesn't fire up properly with less than 10 volts, I can't make the assumption I'll even be doing anything productive.
Before you just slap in another battery you need to determine why the battery(s?) you previously installed failed. Make sure every ground cable is in place and solidly (physically and electrically) connected back to the negative terminal, and that the path from the generator output to the battery positive terminal is solid and offering only a very low resistance.

Any corrosion/bad connection/other interference with electron flow will between the generator ground and + output will cause the battery to be overcharged and fail because the voltage regulator will not be seeing the actual voltage (state of charge) at the battery.

Measure the resistance between the generator body and the negative battery post (the post, not the terminal connector), and between the generator positive output and the battery's positive post. If either is greater that 0.5 Ω then you have a wiring problem that needs to be resolved.

Next with the engine running measure the voltage between the generator body and the positive battery post--if it is more than 15.0 V then you have a wiring problem that needs to be resolved.

Now measure the voltage across the battery terminals, and then the battery posts--if there is any difference, or if it is less than the above measurement (generator body to battery positive post) then you have a wiring problem that needs to be resolved.

Once all of the above have been brought up to spec then worry about dark current...
Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM
72MachOne99GT

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Before you just slap in another battery you need to determine why the battery(s?) you previously installed failed. Make sure every ground cable is in place and solidly (physically and electrically) connected back to the negative terminal, and that the path from the generator output to the battery positive terminal is solid and offering only a very low resistance.

Any corrosion/bad connection/other interference with electron flow will between the generator ground and + output will cause the battery to be overcharged and fail because the voltage regulator will not be seeing the actual voltage (state of charge) at the battery.

Measure the resistance between the generator body and the negative battery post (the post, not the terminal connector), and between the generator positive output and the battery's positive post. If either is greater that 0.5 Ω then you have a wiring problem that needs to be resolved.

Next with the engine running measure the voltage between the generator body and the positive battery post--if it is more than 15.0 V then you have a wiring problem that needs to be resolved.

Now measure the voltage across the battery terminals, and then the battery posts--if there is any difference, or if it is less than the above measurement (generator body to battery positive post) then you have a wiring problem that needs to be resolved.

Once all of the above have been brought up to spec then worry about dark current...
Only question I have regarding those 4-5 checks is about the generator and its positive and ground posts.. where or what is the generator on the car?

i have a pretty obvious idea..

screw it, if i sound like an idiot so be it..

I assume we're talking about the alternator

Last edited by 72MachOne99GT; 02-09-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The generator is located at the front top of the engine, it is driven by the serpentine belt and is a key component of the charging system.

From the factory shop manual:

Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM
72MachOne99GT

Again though, this goes back to the fact that I need another battery.

I can make the checks between the generator and battery posts with the car off, but as it sits It won't start period (and with a gazillion inches of snow and ice im not able to push start it).

I've never considered the fact that the cars system could be overcharging the battery and that may be causing them to go bad.

Looks like tomorrow after work I'll get to go spend some time in the cold.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

See this post for more about the alternator/generator thing...

Quick Reply: Bad Starter Acting Like Bad Battery