4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine sound question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:34 PM
01 Trueblue

Default Engine sound question

This will be hard to describe via text; I had a catted X pipe that really sucked. When accelerating I hear this forward shhhhhh like noise (exhaust leak sort of) but in the exhaust pipe. My first impression is a manifold look but the 3 different people I have check it all said no leaks.

I replaced that X pipe with a o/r Prochamber (which sounds awesome btw) but now I hear that noise more when accelerating hard. Its almost like intake noise, but its in the exhaust and forward/firewall area.

It sounds sort of ratty
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Check if you still have the silencer on your intake if you still have the stock intake on there. If not that might be it. Also it could be a vacuum leak? Not really sure.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:40 PM
01 Trueblue

Originally Posted by Subbz
Check if you still have the silencer on your intake if you still have the stock intake on there. If not that might be it. Also it could be a vacuum leak? Not really sure.
I have a CAI. I just ran to the store and back with the window down. Its a whooshing/pinging sound (I guess) I agree it could be a vacuum leak noise also.

I need to make friends here with some seasoned Mustang owners and get some insight on some of the quirks in my car.

I do love the way the PC sounds though, it seriously makes the car more fun to drive and with the catless tune the car is certainly snappier.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM
01 Trueblue

Im going to try and record it, lets see if I can get the sound with my phone.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM
01 Trueblue

You hear it when its under load almost like pinging.

and yes I know I have de-accelerate howl,
Old 02-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Not sure if it's my headphones but it's really hard to tell which noise you were talking about. I don't really hear anything unusual and as far as the shhhh noise it sounds like your intake. Hopefully there's someone with better ears in here that can help you.

Edit:
Actually do you have an aftermarket throttle body too? I think I hear a whistle from a bigger throttle body.

Last edited by Subbz; 02-08-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 AM
01 Trueblue

None known but who knows with this thing. I should mic it and find out though
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I didn't really hear much on there. If you floor it in a higher gear, like 3rd or 4th at 20mph, is that what you're talking about? An O/R pipe definitely has a more... hmm... hollow sound? Not sure the right way to describe it. It's just from the exhaust being unimpeded by cats. An exhaust leak would be louder and you'd hear it more from the outside (drive next to a wall or something).

I'll see if I can record my O/R PC later with a better recording device and see if that's what you're talking about.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01 Trueblue
None known but who knows with this thing. I should mic it and find out though
Check under the hood and see if it still has the stock throttle body or not. The stock throttle body has the pony logo on it. The whistle I'm hearing sounds like my BBK 78mm throttle body.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:28 PM
01 Trueblue

I will check it out.

Can the chambers fall apart in a flowmaster? I intend on swapping out my cb for a mac anyway but wasnt on the priority list but im wondering if the rasp exhaust leak sound is just junk mufflers

Quick Reply: Engine sound question