4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuel Pump and Coolant Fan Problem, CCRM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 PM
razor9546

Default Fuel Pump and Coolant Fan Problem, CCRM?

I'll try to keep this short.

I was driving one night and my car started to sputter and lose power and cut off. It refused to start and I got it into a parking lot. I flashed the car back to stock from my bama tuner and the car ran horribly, very rich and kept losing power under acceleration but it stayed alive to drive it home. I got code P1235 and a too rich from bank 2 code. I cleared the codes and disconnected the battery thinking maybe it was tune related and something simple. Reconnected the battery and let the car idle to relearn values to the ECU, after 15 minutes of idling i noticed steam from the radiator, the coolant fan was not now kicking in, although the car was running so much better. Im puzzled now, first I thought the pump was going out and now im starting to believe it is something electrical. I have done nothing to my car recently mod wise so I'm really confused. The only thing I can seem to piece together is that the CCRM has gone bad, although my A/C does still work and blow cold. Any input please I need to get this fixed asap. The CCRM is the only thing that makes sense since everything I have read is that people have fuel issues and coolant fan issues when they go back.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:55 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razor9546
I'll try to keep this short.

I was driving one night and my car started to sputter and lose power and cut off. It refused to start and I got it into a parking lot. I flashed the car back to stock from my bama tuner and the car ran horribly, very rich and kept losing power under acceleration but it stayed alive to drive it home. I got code P1235 and a too rich from bank 2 code. I cleared the codes and disconnected the battery thinking maybe it was tune related and something simple. Reconnected the battery and let the car idle to relearn values to the ECU, after 15 minutes of idling i noticed steam from the radiator, the coolant fan was not now kicking in, although the car was running so much better. Im puzzled now, first I thought the pump was going out and now im starting to believe it is something electrical. I have done nothing to my car recently mod wise so I'm really confused. The only thing I can seem to piece together is that the CCRM has gone bad, although my A/C does still work and blow cold. Any input please I need to get this fixed asap. The CCRM is the only thing that makes sense since everything I have read is that people have fuel issues and coolant fan issues when they go back.
razor9546,

When the car first shut off while driving, did you get a look at the coolant temperature gauge? Was it over heating? Also, how long did it sit before you fired it back up with the stock tune and drove it home?

Right now it seems like everything is pointing to the CCRM, but I can't be sure just yet. You should check the voltage to the module to make sure it's getting power!

Shane
Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 PM
razor9546

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
razor9546,

When the car first shut off while driving, did you get a look at the coolant temperature gauge? Was it over heating? Also, how long did it sit before you fired it back up with the stock tune and drove it home?

Right now it seems like everything is pointing to the CCRM, but I can't be sure just yet. You should check the voltage to the module to make sure it's getting power!

Shane
Shane,

My car has never had overheating problems, and when my car died on me I am almost positive that the temp gauge was normal, I would have probably noticed the steam coming from the hood. I flashed the car to stock and it started up right after, but very rough and very rich. The fan stopped working after I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery as I stated above, although after I did that the car seemed to run perfectly fine, before it would shake at idle like it was choking for fuel. I actually brought the car to my local guy today and when I told him the story he said that hes pretty sure that my ECU is fried, he asked if I had the car tuned and said that if the ECU went bad is it most likely from a bad tune. I contacted bama today and asked if their was any possible way to send me a email with what was exactly changed and modified within my tunes and they refused? Kinda got me a little aggravated, and then I asked if they have had any complaints from their tunes ruining ECUs and again I was told no. At this point I am puzzled, hopefully my guy gives me a call back tomorrow and lets me know what the deal is. I'm a little disappointed in bama's customers service.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razor9546
Shane,

My car has never had overheating problems, and when my car died on me I am almost positive that the temp gauge was normal, I would have probably noticed the steam coming from the hood. I flashed the car to stock and it started up right after, but very rough and very rich. The fan stopped working after I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery as I stated above, although after I did that the car seemed to run perfectly fine, before it would shake at idle like it was choking for fuel. I actually brought the car to my local guy today and when I told him the story he said that hes pretty sure that my ECU is fried, he asked if I had the car tuned and said that if the ECU went bad is it most likely from a bad tune. I contacted bama today and asked if their was any possible way to send me a email with what was exactly changed and modified within my tunes and they refused? Kinda got me a little aggravated, and then I asked if they have had any complaints from their tunes ruining ECUs and again I was told no. At this point I am puzzled, hopefully my guy gives me a call back tomorrow and lets me know what the deal is. I'm a little disappointed in bama's customers service.
razor9546,

I'm a little worried about your mechanics' understanding of a custom flash tune. As I've seen mechanical errors like this before, that were pointed back to the tune by a mechanic's misunderstanding. When in reality there was a faulty mechanical/wiring issue.

I can't say I've ever seen a "fried" PCM that was still able to allow the engine to run at all. I've only seen bricked PCM's, which wouldn't allow the car to run at all. On top of that, half of the small handful of bricked PCM's I've seen, were able to be recovered with the help of SCT. The only reason these few PCM's were bricked, is because the hand held tuner glitched when loading a tune and never completed 100% or the OBDII cable was disconnected during the flash. At no point have I ever seen a PCM fail from the tuning parameters changed by Bama or any other tuner.

Another thing to point out- about how long have you been running the Bama tune before you had this incident? Remember, if it was more than a day or more than a long cruise, I can promise you it's not the tune. As your tune never changes and you would see immediate issues with the tune if there was a problem. If you've been running this Bama tune for a while and then this issue popped up, there most be something else causing the problem.

The first thing I would do is upload your Bama tune again. As this tune is calibrated for all of your engine modifications when your stock tune is not. Then from there, it will be easier to find mechanical issues with the car.

I'm sorry if you were mistreated by someone on the Bama Team! If you recall their name and could provide me more details of your conversation, I'd like to pull the phone call and look into this. Also, if you could send me your phone number. Please provide this info via PM too.

Regardless of what your issue is, there's no reason for anyone to give you poor customer service! I'll get to the bottle of that, I can assure you!

Shane