4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Stang owner in Dallas Texas-What First

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Dannytexas

Default New Stang owner in Dallas Texas-What First

Hello, My name is Danny and I just purchased a 2004 Black on Black GT convertible with 59K miles. It was a 1 owner and not one single mod has been done to the vehicle. It was a garage car and seems to be in above average shape.

Now I have been reading different threads on here for a bit. The search function helps a ton but I have so much to learn and needless to say there seems to be endless information here.

So I'm going to ask a few of you, based on your personal experience, what would you start by doing to this car.
My goals are to keep it as a nice daily driver and will never race or rally it too much. Reliability is key for me as I would like it to last a long time.

Thinks I know I want to do immediately. Exhaust so I can hear that V8, probably go with SLP or Flowmaster based on what I've read and heard. Again, not trying to eek out every ounce of performance just more for a good note. I don't think I will do the X-pipe and cat delete stuff, just mufflers.

I want to add a new head unit and tie into the factory Mach 460. The system is okay but I need to bluetooth to my phone and XM yada yada. The only other think here on audio is maybe a sub for the trunk to give it a little fuller sounds all around.

Black Cobra wheels staggered cause I love the look.

A short throw shifter as this just seems what everyone does and makes sense to have it.

Not sure on CAI yet. I've always done them to my trucks but never really noticed a difference. Are the 4.6 V8's better with CAI? I mean noticeably better?

Are there any other must do's to the 2004 GT's to prevent an issue or to improve over factory? Not the fun stuff it would be nice to have but the stuff, " you have to change XYZ as they break or are weak link on this model.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to present a blank canvas type scenario and would people would do first based on what yielded the biggest smile or gain.
Thanks to all in advance
Danny
Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

I would recommend getting an MGW short throw shifter to start. It's not that much, and it makes a huge difference in the way the car feels when you drive it. I could never go back to a stock shifter now that I'm used to the MGW. I also have 4.10 gears in my car, but I hesitate to recommend that, even though I like the way it performs with the gears, the 3650 transmission first gear is really too steep for 4.10's. First gear becomes the tire blowing gear before you quickly put it in 2nd to finish your burnout.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Rugido_de_8Cylindros

Welcome. I just recently bought my first mustang from San Antonio. One thing I noticed about these cars is that they have 4 catalytic converter. So that might affect the sound of your exhaust. My car had dual flowmaster 44s but it sounded really quiet. Im going to look into removing at least the 2 rear cats.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 AM
Dannytexas

Originally Posted by tracyballard
I would recommend getting an MGW short throw shifter to start. It's not that much, and it makes a huge difference in the way the car feels when you drive it. I could never go back to a stock shifter now that I'm used to the MGW. I also have 4.10 gears in my car, but I hesitate to recommend that, even though I like the way it performs with the gears, the 3650 transmission first gear is really too steep for 4.10's. First gear becomes the tire blowing gear before you quickly put it in 2nd to finish your burnout.

Great advice, thank you!!!
D2
Old 03-13-2014, 04:49 AM
Dannytexas

Originally Posted by Rugido_de_8Cylindros
Welcome. I just recently bought my first mustang from San Antonio. One thing I noticed about these cars is that they have 4 catalytic converter. So that might affect the sound of your exhaust. My car had dual flowmaster 44s but it sounded really quiet. Im going to look into removing at least the 2 rear cats.
I just ordered SLP cat back and once installed will test the sound. In Texas I want to keep my cats for inspection purposes but want to hear this bad boy too.
I'll do the cat back and test and see where to go from there
Cheers.
D2
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Most important question - What is your goal for the car? Second, what is the budget?

4.10 gears are a must. Do not listen to tracyballard, he/she is a fukking moron that has no idea what they're talking about.
Cold air intakes are 100% worthless on the 4.6 2v motors.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Most important question - What is your goal for the car? Second, what is the budget?

4.10 gears are a must. Do not listen to tracyballard, he/she is a fukking moron that has no idea what they're talking about.
Cold air intakes are 100% worthless on the 4.6 2v motors.

still trying to get on my good side? I appreciate it, you are a heck of a cool dude. But, if you're saying the 3650 first gear is ideal for 4.10, I have to disagree. There's a tranny available, I forget who makes it, that has a 2.90 first that would work much better. The second gear of that trans is a bit less steep than stock also.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

No need to get on your good side, go jump in a lake.
THE PURPOSE OF 4.10 GEARS IS TO ROW THROUGH THE GEARS YOU IDIOT!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Easy, guys.

I love the 4.10s in the 99. I would pass on any cold air intakes unless they are connected to a turbo/supercharger huehuehue

I like my MGW shifter too. For my year it makes the cup holder functional and rowing through the gears feels better. This will allow more noise into the cabin such as gear noise (I can hear third, for example) though. Many brands of shifters will still be better than stock.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Danny, you'll have to forgive Purp, he's been a little off since the surgery.

4.10's are fine, I like them, but I also don't mind using 3rd gear in parking lots.

Last edited by tracyballard; 03-13-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: New Stang owner in Dallas Texas-What First