4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rattling Sound When Idling

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:19 AM
Invincible

Default Rattling Sound When Idling

I have another issue now. I made a couple laps on a city street and after that, when I push the brakes, slowing down to a red light, and the rpms gets close to the normal idle range, the battery light turns on, then the check engine light, and the engine stalls. After that, I can start up the engine fine with no issues, it's like nothing happened. So today, I did some research which said clean the idle air control, which i did. I also changed the air filter. Hopefully this fixes the issue? After doing all that, I took it for a short drive around the neighborhood and i went to a parking lot to sit idle. There's this rattling sound that I got a video of that concerns me. I can only hear it inside the car, not in the engine bay, not outside, and the hood and body parts seem to be properly tightened. I have heard this rattling sound before i did the idle air control cleaning and filter change, but i was hoping what i did would fix it, but apparently not. I don't know if this sound is normal for v8 mustangs or if it is a concern: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...20250133046189

Last edited by Invincible; 04-21-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I can't pinpoint the sound from the video however you never say if you have the SES code checked. Do you have a Diablo to check the code or did you take it to Autozone to ask them to plug in?

Also, the IAC is an electronic piece. Sometimes just cleaning it will not fix it. My IAC had to be completely replaced. I never got a SES light with mine, it just idled rough then stalled.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Invincible

Originally Posted by Shampue
I can't pinpoint the sound from the video however you never say if you have the SES code checked. Do you have a Diablo to check the code or did you take it to Autozone to ask them to plug in?

Also, the IAC is an electronic piece. Sometimes just cleaning it will not fix it. My IAC had to be completely replaced. I never got a SES light with mine, it just idled rough then stalled.
It only does the SES light when it dies. I can't check the code when I'm in traffic obviously. I tried to recreate the situation in a parking lot, but no luck. I have my own code reader that I use. Ok, maybe I need to replace the IAC then. Hopefully it is cheap to replace? Also, UPDATE the coolant fluid low light came on after a short drive on the interstate. The temperature gauge showed no issues. I went home, let the mustang cool off, opened the coolant reservoir, and it was full of coolant so this is another issue I need to figure out.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

there are two different IAC's ford used on the New Edge. Unfortunately your year vehicle used the $85 (if I recall price) priced IAC, not the $50 one. There is a slight difference in design and I DO NOT know if either will work on your 02 or if you must stick with the more expensive one. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

If the SES light is coming on when the car dies, then goes away when you start it back up again I doubt its throwing you a code. The light would stay on otherwise, wouldn't it?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Invincible

Shampue, yeah, good point. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:55 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

On that rattle, is it by chance a stick shift and is the clutch pedal vibrating? My 98 sounded just like that when the TOB retainer broke and the clutch pedal was flopping around.

If not that, it's likely something up in the heater box.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Invincible

jc316, it is stick shift and the clutch does feel like it is vibrating, but shouldn't the clutch have some vibration? heater box? you mean like the fan that pushes the air through the vents? That's what I was thinking at first, but the heat/ac wasn't on.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Invincible
jc316, it is stick shift and the clutch does feel like it is vibrating, but shouldn't the clutch have some vibration? heater box? you mean like the fan that pushes the air through the vents? That's what I was thinking at first, but the heat/ac wasn't on.
There shouldn't be much in the way of vibration in that pedal. Try pressing it in and see if the sound goes away.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Invincible

Ok, I will try that when the sound comes back. So this is weird. I'm working on the Mustang, there is no check engine light, just the low coolant fluid light, but I decided to try to use my code reader. It came back with this code: http://engine-codes.com/p0457_ford.html though as far as I can tell, the gas cap is on and I don't see what a gas cap has to do with low coolant fluid.