4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2004 Gt Factory H Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

Default 2004 Gt Factory H Pipe?

I bought a 04 GT (40th anniversary) used off the lot. I wanted to install headers, a H Pipe and a cat back. Today while installing springs I noticed what looks like a H Pipe under there. My mechanic says it is a H Pipe but I'm wondering if this came from factory like that or did the previous owner have them installed. The car sounds stock and it doesn't make sense why the previous owner would install that and not cat backs you know..?
Anyone know of the 04 GT came from factory like that and 2nd question. .what's the difference between those and aftermarket H Pipes? ( keep in mind the cat back flowmaster is already sitting in my garage)
Old 05-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Yes, it's an H directly from the factory.

Aftermarket pipes flow better due to having only 2 catalytic converters instead of the 4 yours has, or none at all if you get an "off road" pipe.

For as disappointing as many of the bolt on's for these cars tend to be, an aftermarket midpipe is actually one of the few decent ones, generally worth about 10 hp or so in addition to waking up the sound level a bit.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:39 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

A stock 04 GT might actually have 6 cats on it...my 03 GT had 6.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 AM
CarNoobLovingIt

[QUpipe28KLR;8383979]Yes, it's an H directly from the factory.

Aftermarket pipes flow better due to having only 2 catalytic converters instead of the 4 yours has, or none at all if you get an "off road" pipe.

For as disappointing as many of the bolt on's for these cars tend to be, an aftermarket midpipe is actually one of the few decent ones, generally worth about 10 hp or so in addition to waking up the sound level a bit.[/QUOTE]

I think here in texas we must have Cats unfortunately. But what I'm thinking about doing is keeping my factory H pipe for inspection time and buying off road pipe. Would a pypes off road bolt on to a flowmaster Catback? reason being the Flowmaster H pipe cost about $600 and the pypes off road cost 190

Last edited by CarNoobLovingIt; 05-03-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:27 AM
CarNoobLovingIt

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
A stock 04 GT might actually have 6 cats on it...my 03 GT had 6.
6?!? Damn talk about restrictions haha
Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Dunno about the 6 cats thing... Early SN95's, like '96-'98 definitely had 6, pretty sure '99/'00 also had 6. 2001+, every one I've ever seen only had 4. Only way I can think of an '03 having the 6cat pipe is if it were for whatever reason swapped for one off an earlier car.

OP, your idea about getting an aftermarket pipe and swapping back to stock for inspections should be fine. They recently just this how they do smog testing here in CA, but until recently that's what I did as well. It's not a bad job to swap them out, about an hour or maybe less once you get familiar with it. Kinda gets to be a pain in the *** after a few years though.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:06 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Swapping back and forth will get you passed inspection, but it still illegal on the street. If you get pulled over, you'll get nailed for it. Just keep it legal. The minimal power gains from the swap are not worth the trouble.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:33 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Dunno about the 6 cats thing... Early SN95's, like '96-'98 definitely had 6, pretty sure '99/'00 also had 6. 2001+, every one I've ever seen only had 4. Only way I can think of an '03 having the 6cat pipe is if it were for whatever reason swapped for one off an earlier car.

OP, your idea about getting an aftermarket pipe and swapping back to stock for inspections should be fine. They recently just this how they do smog testing here in CA, but until recently that's what I did as well. It's not a bad job to swap them out, about an hour or maybe less once you get familiar with it. Kinda gets to be a pain in the *** after a few years though.
Mine came from the factory with 6 cats. And I have seen other 01-04 GTs with 6. Maybe it depends on the body? I don't know. But mine definitely had 6.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

Originally Posted by Z28KLR

Do you know if a pypes X pipe will bolt directly to a Flowmaster cat back? Before I buy them haha
Old 05-04-2014, 09:47 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Swapping back and forth will get you passed inspection, but it still illegal on the street. If you get pulled over, you'll get nailed for it. Just keep it legal. The minimal power gains from the swap are not worth the trouble.
Damn, do they check right then and there? That would suck lol

Quick Reply: 2004 Gt Factory H Pipe?