4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hard to answer tire question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CalBoy101
That's a nice run but the launch at the hit looks soft and the 60' time is slow for the ET.

For that MPH I'd expect a 60' in the 1.5 range or so and an ET of around 10.5 or so.

I'm assuming you were feathering the throttle in first gear?

If you use full throttle in first gear do you spin or get both spin and wheel hop?
Dude, this a 3870lb street car on handling suspension and 19/20 wheels. That was a badass launch and a strong ET for this combo!

This is what we ran with a more drag oriented setup:

Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Dude, this a 3870lb street car on handling suspension and 19/20 wheels. That was a badass launch and a strong ET for this combo!

This is what we ran with a more drag oriented setup:

Fastest Turbo Mustang: 2011 GT 5.0L Coyote UPR Hellion 9.73 @ 137.76 - YouTube

8" or 10" wide 15s? What tire?

Do you think a 275/50/15 Hoosier DR would be too much tire for a 3.73 geared 4R70W with ~400WHP/430WTQ? Stock converter. Line Lock. See sig for suspension mods.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 AM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
8" or 10" wide 15s? What tire?

Do you think a 275/50/15 Hoosier DR would be too much tire for a 3.73 geared 4R70W with ~400WHP/430WTQ? Stock converter. Line Lock. See sig for suspension mods.
Hangwire, I think that tire will work great with your combo both on the strip and street, I definitely don't think its too much tire.

How are the NT05's you have now working, do they hook on the street?

As you probably know already the stock converter is going going to be a limitation for you.

I have a very similar combo to yours, KB 2.1, 4r70w and I'm just finishing putting in a 3400 stall Circle D converter. I also rebuilt the rear end with a 31 spline Cobra diff and Moser axles and I also welded the axle tubes to the housing and put in Steeda weight jacking LCA's.

I'm making a final decision on my next tire set now, my goal is to get it to hook as hard as possible on the street. I currently have Nitto 555r's but I know they aren't going to stand up to this combo.

I'm looking hard at the Mickey Thompson 275/50R15 Street Radials and also at the MT 315/35R17 and MT 275/40R17 sizes. I have 3.27 gears in the rear end so I want to stay with a 26" diameter tire.

I'm looking at the MT's versus the Hoosiers as the car is seeing mostly street duty and the MT's give a little better tread life and rain performance than the Hoosiers.

I know that with a manual transmission it definitely helps to go with a 15" tire in the MT drag radials to get more sidewall flex but its not clear to me whether this helps with an auto car. I do know you can hook very hard with an auto car on these tires in a 17" size, a lot of guys have done this, I've seen 1.4 60' times on them, I just don't know if its easier to do it on the 15".

I tried to get some advice from the MT tech line on this issue but maybe I caught the guy on a grouchy day, he didn't have anything useful to say about the issue.

Sharad, do you have any input on this 15" versus 17" wheel size issue, I noticed on the red automatic car (great run by the way) that you have 15"'s on it.

Last edited by CalBoy101; 05-31-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CalBoy101
Hangwire, I think that tire will work great with your combo both on the strip and street, I definitely don't think its too much tire.

How are the NT05's you have now working, do they hook on the street?

As you probably know already the stock converter is going going to be a limitation for you.

I have a very similar combo to yours, KB 2.1, 4r70w and I'm just finishing putting in a 3400 stall Circle D converter. I also rebuilt the rear end with a 31 spline Cobra diff and Moser axles and I also welded the axle tubes to the housing and put in Steeda weight jacking LCA's.

I'm making a final decision on my next tire set now, my goal is to get it to hook as hard as possible on the street. I currently have Nitto 555r's but I know they aren't going to stand up to this combo.

I'm looking hard at the Mickey Thompson 275/50R15 Street Radials and also at the MT 315/35R17 and MT 275/40R17 sizes. I have 3.27 gears in the rear end so I want to stay with a 26" diameter tire.

I'm looking at the MT's versus the Hoosiers as the car is seeing mostly street duty and the MT's give a little better tread life and rain performance than the Hoosiers.

I know that with a manual transmission it definitely helps to go with a 15" tire in the MT drag radials to get more sidewall flex but its not clear to me whether this helps with an auto car. I do know you can hook very hard with an auto car on these tires in a 17" size, a lot of guys have done this, I've seen 1.4 60' times on them, I just don't know if its easier to do it on the 15".

I tried to get some advice from the MT tech line on this issue but maybe I caught the guy on a grouchy day, he didn't have anything useful to say about the issue.

Sharad, do you have any input on this 15" versus 17" wheel size issue, I noticed on the red automatic car (great run by the way) that you have 15"'s on it.
Well that all depends on how much you get into it. I have added the shocks/struts and UCAs recently and not really messed with it a whole lot since. If I really get into it I can shred 1st gear. As long as Im not WOT and going from a dig it sticks in 2nd gear pretty good. With having all the torque literally on command its hard to keep it steady but its fun as hell. Most definitely the best street tire i've had bar none. All around my fav street tire. Good straight line traction for what it is and also good in the corners. This is my 2nd set on the rear. I imagine the NT05Rs would be awesome.

When I was at Mustang's 50th in charlotte I saw A LOT of race mustangs with NT05 and NT05R on them so that really validated my thoughts on the tire.

But if I just stomp the throttle from a dig it gets so loose I have to get out of it and feather the throttle for the rest of 1st otherwise it will just float and fish tail a little bit. Spinnin aint winnin.

Yes I know my stock converter is going to limit me. This is why i'm worried about it being too much sidewall on the 275/50/15s. The torque is so strong I doubt it will be an issue. I just wont be able to shock the tires like I want to from the DIG.

And as long as you have a stall converter you are WAY better off with the 15" tire. You can stall your RPMS up and shock the sidewall of the tire right off the line. With a stock converter you just gotta punch it and hope for the best. Thats why the 17s would probably run just as fast as the 15s. The 17s arent designed to flex but it doesn't matter since you cant stall it. With the stall converter everything changes.

I'm thinking about a 3.2K stall. Whenever the money is right. Probly gonna go PI trip disc.

Last edited by Hangwire; 06-02-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Well that all depends on how much you get into it. I have added the shocks/struts and UCAs recently and not really messed with it a whole lot since. If I really get into it I can shred 1st gear. As long as Im not WOT and going from a dig it sticks in 2nd gear pretty good. With having all the torque literally on command its hard to keep it steady but its fun as hell. Most definitely the best street tire i've had bar none. All around my fav street tire. Good straight line traction for what it is and also good in the corners. This is my 2nd set on the rear. I imagine the NT05Rs would be awesome.

When I was at Mustang's 50th in charlotte I saw A LOT of race mustangs with NT05 and NT05R on them so that really validated my thoughts on the tire.

But if I just stomp the throttle from a dig it gets so loose I have to get out of it and feather the throttle for the rest of 1st otherwise it will just float and fish tail a little bit. Spinnin aint winnin.

Yes I know my stock converter is going to limit me. This is why i'm worried about it being too much sidewall on the 275/50/15s. The torque is so strong I doubt it will be an issue. I just wont be able to shock the tires like I want to from the DIG.

And as long as you have a stall converter you are WAY better off with the 15" tire. You can stall your RPMS up and shock the sidewall of the tire right off the line. With a stock converter you just gotta punch it and hope for the best. Thats why the 17s would probably run just as fast as the 15s. The 17s arent designed to flex but it doesn't matter since you cant stall it. With the stall converter everything changes.

I'm thinking about a 3.2K stall. Whenever the money is right. Probly gonna go PI trip disc.
Good input Hangwire, thanks.