4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying an 01' GT Convertible.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 AM
iXephoz

Default Buying an 01' GT Convertible.

Hey guys, I want to get everyone's opinions on this. I am planning on driving two hours from my house to look at a GT Convertible. I am not to familiar with Mustangs, but I want to be haha. My brother has an 02' Vert with tons of problems and I am trying to not buy one like that as it take the fun out of the Stang. Anyways, what should I look for when buying it? It was in PA for a long time but now the new owner bought it and lives in Long Island. I am worried about the car being in a flood, but I guess it's hard to check for that. Here is a little info about the car that you guys could give advice to see if its worth it:

2001 GT Convertible, Triple Black

110,000 miles
5 Speed
Leather Interior, blah blah blah

It has some upgrades...

4:10 Gears
Flowmaster Cat-less Exhaust
MSD Coils
Black Bullit Wheels
Some suspension bracing

He's asking $8000, talked him down to $7500.

It's adult owned, and hopefully has been it's whole life. I am just not sure what to look for though. I want to make as little trips down to LI as I can, hopefully two at the most. If you guys could share your advice that'd be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Look carefully at the top. Check the edges for cracks or wear. Look at the stitching. Its is pulling out? Put the top up and down and watch how it moves. If from a down position, putting the top up one side raises considerably more before the other you may have a hydraulic issue with the motor. It could be something as easy as low fluid, or it could mean the motor is going. The motor is located directly behind the rear seat. Check for leaks.

The top is one of the most overlooked parts of a new edge convertible at this stage in their ages. Putting a new (and I mean a NICE top, not a cheap top) will run you $2000. I know from experience. Luckily for me mine was an insurance claim that cost me only $100 deductible.

Secondly. Check the fitment of the door windows as well as the seals of the quarter windows. Convertibles have significantly more wear on the window tracks/motors than a coupe. Open the door and try to shift the window from side to side. If the tracks are worn out, the window will shift and not seat properly.

The quarter window "weatherstripping" is also a touchy one. It cannot be replaced if broken. You need to get a whole new quarter window (which is $300 from Ford) or you can get them at junk yards for about $60-$90.

I'm sure you were expecting a reply about engines, or suspension etc.. but having owned a 2001 Mustang GT convertible and knowing the work I put into the convertible top, I really think you should look closely at it. Its easily overlooked.

Hope this helped and I hope it makes sense. I tend to babble

Edit: Oh, also... if he put 4.10's on the car he probably has an aftermarket tuner. Make sure thats included in the sale of the vehicle

Last edited by Shampue; 05-30-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

One more thing. I have a carfax account. Shoot me the VIN or licenseplate number and I can run it for you
Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 PM
finallyverted2

03 for sale in upstate ny 60k on it asking 9500.. think its a little over priced based on mileage or maybe mines underpriced lol mone as well is triple black leather blah blah blah.. 373 gears amd a tuner shampu is right have to have a tuner!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 PM
iXephoz

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. They are very helpful. I'll try getting you the VIN, should I just post it here?
Old 05-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

private message me the vin