4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Very Low Torque Converter Stall

Old 08-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Gordon A

Default Very Low Torque Converter Stall

I have a 97 V8 4.6 GT.

I have just fitted a Transgo shift kit and a 2600-2800 stall torque converter. I am now experiencing some issues and I need to attempt to nail down what the issue is. When I select reverse, the engine dies, this is because of the drag being placed on it by the torque converter. If I am quick, I can blip the throttle, select reverse and there will be enough momentum for me to get back on the throttle and brake and it will not die. I am experiencing the same issue in drive too, but to a lesser extent. If I am successful at getting going, the car will run well and change gear very well indeed, telling me that at least part of the Transgo shift kit upgrade is working ok. At rest, with the engine running, feet hard on the brake and throttle, I can only manage about 1,100 rpms before the TC stalls, this is supposed to be 26 - 2800 stall converter!

Obviously, something I have done has caused this, don't know if anyone has experienced this problem? We are not talking here about the TCC lockup solenoid, this is about an early stall condition, which can only be caused by excessive fluid pressure in the TC, or a faulty TC itself.

I called Transgo, they tell me that there is no way that their kit will cause a TC to lock up early.

I called the company that supplied the TC, they said that this would be caused by the Pressure Regulator valve, which, they said was part of the Pump assembly. So, they were contradicting what Transgo said, that a High pressure situation could be caused by their kit. The PR valve is on the valve body, and was indeed one of the upgrades in the Transgo kit. However, I have never heard of a pressure regulator in a 4R70W causing an over pressure situation, usually, 99% of the time, the fault is a low pressure situation.

I am about to put the stock TC back in the car to try and troubleshoot, as I dont want to throw any more money at this until I have an answer. After that I will source a stock Valve body and swap that out.

Anyone experienced this situation before?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

im using a 4800 stall in my car and can only hold it to 2200 rpms, the 2600-2800 rating is the flash rate, which is what the car should rev to before taking off on launch. not footbraking to that stall
Old 09-01-2014, 11:33 AM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

I put a Circle-D 3400 stall converter in my car recently.

I have the same issue in reverse, particularly when the car isn't fully warmed up.

Shifting into drive is fine but shifting into reverse pulls the engine down briefly, causing it to stall if don't give it a little extra throttle. I just learned to live with this.

Regarding stall speed, you'll never be able to take it to full stall against the brakes, I can get to around 2600 max without the car moving.

But 1100 sounds pretty low, I could stall higher than that with the stock converter.

Watch your RPM's when you release the brakes and floor it, does it flash right up to the stall speed then?

If so the problem is your brakes, not the converter.