4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gauge lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:21 AM
sm0ke

Default Gauge lights

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to get the gauges off of a 2004 Mustang GT? I am looking to change my gauges colors from the standard green, to a blue color.

Thanks,
Nate
Old 10-17-2005, 01:30 AM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Gauge lights

its so easy my little sister could do it, i believe what you need is a hex key thingy, make sure you mark where your needles are because you will have to take them of. ESPECIALLY make sure the gas needle is in the right place. i made the mistake of not making sure it was correct and ended up running out of gas on my first date with my current g/f and had to call her mom to bring us some gas. like i said, it insanely easy
Old 10-17-2005, 01:36 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

they are actually torx screws, i bought a bullitt gauge cluster from a bullitt stang and had it in in under 30 mins, and thats bc i was taking my time
Old 10-17-2005, 01:42 AM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

yeah i was watching tv while i was doing mine. needless to say i took the cluster inside. probably took me about 30-45 minutes
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 AM
sm0ke

Ok, so its insanely easy. I'm not looking to change the display type, I like the black like it is. I just want to change the bulbs behind it so that it lights up blue instead of green.

Smell what I'm steppin in?

Old 10-17-2005, 02:10 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

how did you mark where the needles were?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:01 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sm0ke

Ok, so its insanely easy. I'm not looking to change the display type, I like the black like it is. I just want to change the bulbs behind it so that it lights up blue instead of green.

Smell what I'm steppin in?

I do, and that's a lot of work. The black face is glued down in some spots, so with removing it you may cause some problems... be careful with that. I think the coloring comes from a green tint behind the white, so you will need to replace the black face piece. I don't know on this, it is JUST A GUESS.

On the note of realigning needles, try to make it as simple as possible... when at full temperature, my temperature needle reads just below 1/2. Oil pressure is just over 1/2 (60% I know this for a fact), battery is about the same. For fuel, run your tank to something simple like E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or full so it is easy to replace... idle is 800 RPM, easy to replace. Speedometer needle is a little trickier. Find an empty road or some empty parking lot, let the car idle in 2nd gear, which is a little over 10 MPH. Have a friend hold on to the wheel to remove some of the stupidity of looking away from the road, and let you know of impending danger and stick the needle on and check it. Use this: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm set to the MPH mode to check your accuracy.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. The blue doesn't match the green in the A/C panel, and radio, oh well though. Is that the type of color you are looking for? (You'll be stuck with white-face, those are from a Cobra)

[IMG]local://upfiles/20167/F6FF2F14FF454E7595E55CC3C448FBCB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20167/C2959FD8C8A743578745888B5DF47C90.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-17-2005, 04:15 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

hey.. i got a question on the guages.... the back light on mine is burned out or something.... like... i only see the needles light up at night... what can i do to fix that? i have aftermarket white face gauges. i took it to the dealership and they said they have to replace soem parts... i took it apart and it looks like there is 2 wires going to the white surface... does that light the white up? the previous owner put them on the car.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:39 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

hey.. i got a question on the guages.... the back light on mine is burned out or something.... like... i only see the needles light up at night... what can i do to fix that? i have aftermarket white face gauges. i took it to the dealership and they said they have to replace soem parts... i took it apart and it looks like there is 2 wires going to the white surface... does that light the white up? the previous owner put them on the car.
Yes. They should be hooked up to a 12v power source. They probably came unhooked somewhere. You can't follow them, but you could hook them back up.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:54 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

they are hooked up.... thats the one thing that bothers me... do i have to buy a new guage face if this one wont light up.... im gonna check the power on the two wires when i get home today just to see if its getting power.

Quick Reply: Gauge lights