4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to reset the idle and dash light problem

Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM
xoHollieNicole

Default How to reset the idle and dash light problem

Hello!

My car is idling a little higher than what it should be. How do I reset the idle? Someone told us to unplug the battery for 10 minutes and let it reset on it's own, and we did that but it didn't completely fix the problem, just a little bit.

Also, the dash light on my car randomly stopped working, anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 PM
guzman2008alex

I had the same issue with the idle, I corrected it with the idle relearn. Disconnect negative battery terminal for 30 mins, connect battery, turn on car adjust the rpm's idle and then let the car idle with everything off (no lights,a/c, etc) for 10 mins. Turn off car and let stand being off for 2 minutes. Turn on the car and turn on lights, heater or a/c, fog lights if you have them. For 5 minutes. Turn off car for 2 minutes and everything being off as well. Turn on car and take it for a drive not reviving high drive it normal stop n go stop n go, baby the car during this process For 10 mins. After that turn off car and process is done and IAC is set... good luck I hope that helped. And I'm having the same issue with the light gauges not working so if you have an answer for that can you help me?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:45 AM
xoHollieNicole

Originally Posted by guzman2008alex
I had the same issue with the idle, I corrected it with the idle relearn. Disconnect negative battery terminal for 30 mins, connect battery, turn on car adjust the rpm's idle and then let the car idle with everything off (no lights,a/c, etc) for 10 mins. Turn off car and let stand being off for 2 minutes. Turn on the car and turn on lights, heater or a/c, fog lights if you have them. For 5 minutes. Turn off car for 2 minutes and everything being off as well. Turn on car and take it for a drive not reviving high drive it normal stop n go stop n go, baby the car during this process For 10 mins. After that turn off car and process is done and IAC is set... good luck I hope that helped. And I'm having the same issue with the light gauges not working so if you have an answer for that can you help me?

Thanks I"ll try that!

And I still haven't heard anything about the lights!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

How high does it idle?

This is more than likely going to be more than disconnecting the battery. First suspicions would be Idle Air Control valve or possibly vacuum leak.

Check engine light on? If so, what are the codes (have them checked before you do anything, including disconnecting the battery)?

What particular dash light are you talking about? There's more than 1, so...
Old 01-31-2015, 01:37 PM
xoHollieNicole

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
How high does it idle?

This is more than likely going to be more than disconnecting the battery. First suspicions would be Idle Air Control valve or possibly vacuum leak.

Check engine light on? If so, what are the codes (have them checked before you do anything, including disconnecting the battery)?

What particular dash light are you talking about? There's more than 1, so...

Well, I drove it last night for the first time since I posted this (weather has been bad) and it was idling fine- no clue why. Before it was idling right under 2000 RPM. Sometimes it would drop down to about 1300. To my knowledge there aren't any service lights on, but that part of the dash is what's out.

Everything but the instrument panel is working ( I think that's what it's called; where the speed and gauges are). The dimmer light only turned them on if it was turned to the brightest setting and then it just randomly stopped working

Sorry, I'm terrible at terminology and stuff

Last edited by xoHollieNicole; 01-31-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you need new lights in the cluster. It's not a difficult job if you plan on doing it yourself and just uses #194 lamps - although I forget how many. If you pick up 5 packs of them (2 per pack) that should be plenty and probably have a couple left over.

The idle thing may well be the IAC but I would have it scanned for any trouble codes first before throwing any parts at it. Most auto parts stores will scan the codes for you free of charge. Be sure to write down what ones you get (if any) and post back with them.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:06 PM
xoHollieNicole

Hey everyone, just an update!

The dash problem was fixed with a new dimmer switch and the idle was fixed with following one of the idle reset posts on this site! Thanks for the help!

Now we just need to figure out what's draining the battery!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:35 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Well that's good you got it figured out, because I quoted you the wrong lamp # anyway.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:04 PM
xoHollieNicole

Haha, my dad figured it out! It works great now.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 AM
2004GTconvertable

As you get older you will realize that Dad is smarter than you thought. Glad it is fixed, enjoy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to reset the idle and dash light problem