4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

fuel/oil additive

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:31 AM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

Default fuel/oil additive

I don't drive my life mean that much. is there something that I should add to the fuel or the oil so when it sits it doesn't go bad. It usually sits for about a month or so. Also on another note I have a Mustang that I drive daily just not very far. Is there an additive that I should ad to the oil to keep it good??
Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

For the little used car,I don't think that you need a gas additive.I would be gassing it up in small amounts,to insure that the gas is freshened up,and that the older stuff is diluted.If you think that most of the gas in the tank will be there for more than three or four months,I'd put in an additive.
For the short tripper,I also don't think that an additive is called for.What is called for,is shortening the time interval between oil and filter changes,disregarding mileage as an indicator for doing a change.

Last edited by Camster; 04-13-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 AM
STA-BILŽ
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thatdude305
I don't drive my life mean that much. is there something that I should add to the fuel or the oil so when it sits it doesn't go bad. It usually sits for about a month or so. Also on another note I have a Mustang that I drive daily just not very far. Is there an additive that I should ad to the oil to keep it good??
Since today's ethanol blended gas can begin to break down in as little as 30 days, it is a good idea to have a high quality fuel stabilizer in the gas if there is a chance it sits that long or longer. That isn't to say the gas is unusable at 30 days, but the quality will deteriorate. The key is adding the fuel stabilizer as soon as you get the gas, though. Adding a fuel stabilizer when oxidation has begun will not provide a great deal of benefit.

The best way to store gas/equipment is to fill the tank with fresh gas, add a high quality fuel stabilizer, then run the equipment for about 5-10 minutes. This will ensure the whole fuel system is treated and protected.

We might be a little biased, but we think STA-BILŽ is a good choice when storing gas...

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil

As for the oil, in the near future we will have an oil stabilizer available called STA-BILŽ 360° Oil Stabilizer. More information on that product is in the link below.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Have a great day!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:52 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

I typically only put a couple dollars in my Lightning which could be as little as a 1/4 tank. Then I let her sit for a month maybe month and a half. Would you still recommend using a stabilizer
Old 04-15-2015, 10:56 AM
STA-BILŽ
Former Sponsor

Anytime gas sits for 30 days or longer we recommend a high quality stabilizer. Will the gas be useless at 30 days - not at all. But at or around 30 days (depending on quality) gas will begin to break down. Think of fuel stabilizers as cheap insurance, if nothing else.

Also, leaving that much room in the tank leaves the fuel system susceptible to rust & corrosion due to condensation. Shoot us a PM if you would be interested in trying STA-BILŽ 360° Protection.

http://www.sta-bil360.com/
Old 04-15-2015, 02:27 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Sta-bil ftw.

After I can't tell you how much money, time and aggravation I have been spared by using Sta-bil.

But I haven't seen the 360 on the shelves here. I see the regular and the Marine versions but not the 360.

How is the 360 better than the Marine, which is what I usually use?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:28 AM
STA-BILŽ
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
Sta-bil ftw.

After I can't tell you how much money, time and aggravation I have been spared by using Sta-bil.

But I haven't seen the 360 on the shelves here. I see the regular and the Marine versions but not the 360.

How is the 360 better than the Marine, which is what I usually use?
Thank you for the positive comments! STA-BILŽ 360° will stabilize fuel, keep the fuel system clean, and prevent rust & corrosion - both above and below the fuel line. No other additive today uses Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) technology to coat the exposed metal components of your fuel system which is susceptible to rust & corrosion due to condensation.

The product does have limited distribution at the moment but a few changes will be coming in the coming months that will make that product more readily available across a number of channels. In the meantime, we would be happy to get some free samples out to anyone interested in trying it. Please just PM us with your name & address and we will get those out to you.

Check out the link below for additional info and of course feel free to reach out with any questions.

Have a great weekend!!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 AM
danjc3

I have been using Sta-Bil in the standby generators that I am responsible for years, and in my motorcycles that sit for months - always been no problems. But, I have not ever even thought about using it regularly in the cars - most are used regularly enough (I thought). But I have noticed lost performance when fuel starts to age, and now this makes sense! I had no idea fuel started to deteriorate at 30 days. With fuel costs, this would be an excellent idea to start adding to those driven lesser miles.

I have always been concerned about corrosion with partial fuel tank load, so try to keep more full. I would be real interested in the 360, and am searching the Internet for more details. Partial tanks being protected with Sta-Bil 360 would be a very strong argument for "normal" use!

Thanks!
Dan
Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 AM
STA-BILŽ
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by danjc3
I have been using Sta-Bil in the standby generators that I am responsible for years, and in my motorcycles that sit for months - always been no problems. But, I have not ever even thought about using it regularly in the cars - most are used regularly enough (I thought). But I have noticed lost performance when fuel starts to age, and now this makes sense! I had no idea fuel started to deteriorate at 30 days. With fuel costs, this would be an excellent idea to start adding to those driven lesser miles.

I have always been concerned about corrosion with partial fuel tank load, so try to keep more full. I would be real interested in the 360, and am searching the Internet for more details. Partial tanks being protected with Sta-Bil 360 would be a very strong argument for "normal" use!

Thanks!
Dan
Dan,

Glad to hear you are already a STA-BILŽ fan! Today's ethanol blended gas has a much shorter shelf life than non-ethanol gas. With continued use of a high quality fuel stabilizer in fresh gas, you will be able to keep fuel fresh - longer.

While we always recommend you keep the fuel system as full as possible, we know that is not always going to happen. This product is perfect for protecting those metal surfaces that aren't being reached by gasoline.

If anyone has any fuel related questions, please feel free to reach out.

Have a great day!