4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Yet Another Front Brakes Dragging Thread...

Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

pop your master cylinder cap off and check to see that the little rubber bellow/seal is installed in the underside of the cap this allows for expansion/contraction of the fluid. if there is some other type of seal there it may be that it cant vent and is building pressure. long shot, but worth a check

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/3...man-42098.html heres a link to a pic
Old 06-04-2015, 09:50 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

You know, now that I think about it, I can't remember if that was in there or not. It very well could have been. It just as well could have not. I'll have to check in the morning.

Weirder things have happened. Heck, a couple weeks ago I was fighting with my riding mower. It would crank forever, finally start, then rev high and die. Like it was starving for fuel then getting way to much. After cleaning the carb twice, I found the problem all along was the hole in the gas cap which allows the tank to breathe was clogged. A hole about the size of a pin point on a plastic gas cap. ..
Old 06-04-2015, 09:57 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

yeah the cap on the master cyl is vented like that, and the rubber gasket with the bellow keeps the atmosphere out but still allows for expansion, fingers crossed its that simple
Old 06-05-2015, 07:12 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

I just checked and the seal is in fact, for better or worse, in place.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:56 AM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

I just had the same problem again and took it to the garage because I couldn't figure it out.

The notes said that they replaced both calipers and bled the ABS module
Old 06-08-2015, 06:46 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evan02
I just had the same problem again and took it to the garage because I couldn't figure it out.

The notes said that they replaced both calipers and bled the ABS module
I was wondering if it could be something with the abs module. I just don't see how it could be the calipers if they release pressure after opening the bleeder valve. One would think that if the caliper was sticking it wouldn't move after doing that.

I have not done anything with an abs module before, though I know which part it is. I just find it curious that it's both front brakes dragging to the same degree basically. This makes me wonder that if it is related to some part that distributes pressure to each of the calipers. If such a part exists?

Can anyone she'd some light on this?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by unitedwestang
I was wondering if it could be something with the abs module. I just don't see how it could be the calipers if they release pressure after opening the bleeder valve. One would think that if the caliper was sticking it wouldn't move after doing that.

I have not done anything with an abs module before, though I know which part it is. I just find it curious that it's both front brakes dragging to the same degree basically. This makes me wonder that if it is related to some part that distributes pressure to each of the calipers. If such a part exists?

Can anyone she'd some light on this?

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking about the calipers, I told them that those weren't most likely the issue. However I told them to go ahead and replace them anyway because they were mismatched, one was from a 2003 with ~200k on it, mine is a 2002 and for whatever reason they used different banjo bolts.

I'm willing to bet its the same issue I had. If you drive for a couple of minutes do they both get REALLY locked up and then after about 10 minutes spin somewhat freely? That's what was happening to me.

Although I don't know HOW they bled the ABS module.

It may also be worth it to take off the master cylinder and check the rod-thing in there. I forget what its called.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:34 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if I would say really locked up, so much as a significant drag. Say I just drove around and it has the drag. If I jack the front end up, it takes significant effort to rotate the front wheels by hand, but they do move. No free rotation whatsoever, though. But yes, after the brakes cool down they do move much easier.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 AM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Default Yet Another Front Brakes Dragging Thread...

Same thing was happening to the calipers on my F150: heat the brakes and the caliper was sticking, causing a lot more heat. I replaced the calipers with rebuilt units from Rock Auto and the problem was solved.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
Same thing was happening to the calipers on my F150: heat the brakes and the caliper was sticking, causing a lot more heat. I replaced the calipers with rebuilt units from Rock Auto and the problem was solved.
Did you by chance try opening the bleeder valve after they had heated up and start dragging? I'm just curious to see what the caliper did in your case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet Another Front Brakes Dragging Thread...