MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   PATS issue new keys won't program (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/719623-pats-issue-new-keys-wont-program.html)

norville 05-29-2015 09:46 AM

PATS issue new keys won't program

Hey all, it seems every used mustang I've even bought only came with one key. My latest is a 2004 GT , I only have one aftermarket transponder key for it. I've had a few and I keep one of those universal key/transponder keys around just for this they can duplicate it at the hardware store. I also like keeping a dummy key in one spot and the transponder in another..

So anyway I have "two" keys now and I ordered 2 more transponder keys off ebay, as I've done in the past. I have the keys cut for 3 bucks and I start the ignition duplication process.. but the new keys wont take??? I tried rotating which key I started with and even tried the magnet trick with the known good key.

Am I at the max number of keys I can copy? how can I know? If I go through the 45min procedure of setting a new master key that should reset the number of keys, will my universal still work? I've just called a lock smith to see if they have a coder...

Any thoughts? Is my PATS system on its way out?

thanks
bob

Z28KLR 05-29-2015 11:01 AM

My understanding has always been is that this process needs to be done with coding equipment; the "self programming" process that you describe I believe only works for '98 and earlier.

norville 05-29-2015 11:11 AM

Hmmm, not sure now. I did read that I may be having an issue because I have one coded key and one clone. I'll have to start reading up on what to do with just one key...

Bob

Derf00 05-29-2015 02:07 PM

You cannot program pats with just one original key. You need two. If you only have one, the dealer will need to add a second key as an original. Only they have access to do that. Once you have two 'original' keys you can then program additional keys on your own.

If you happen to lose an original that's fine. Any keys are programmed will still work, you just won't be able to add anymore. I forget what number of keys you can have programmed 2 original + 2 or + 3 IIRC.

The separate remote control is independent of this.

norville 06-04-2015 12:28 PM

Just to finish the post for future searchers. I had to go to a ford dealer and have them program the keys. It was on $59 to program my keys and 45mins. I bought the keys off ebay for $20 and $3 to have them cut at the hardware store. So figure $90 for the pair total. I now have 3 keys to work with. the locksmith wanted $120... so not too much butt hurt.

thanks
bob

Derf00 06-04-2015 02:19 PM

thanks for posting the resolution. this will help other forum members that have similar issues in the future!

an x0 androsian 08-03-2016 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by norville (Post 8489583)
Just to finish the post for future searchers. I had to go to a ford dealer and have them program the keys. It was on $59 to program my keys and 45mins. I bought the keys off ebay for $20 and $3 to have them cut at the hardware store. So figure $90 for the pair total. I now have 3 keys to work with. the locksmith wanted $120... so not too much butt hurt.

thanks
bob

Thanks so much I appreciate it lots!