4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mark VIII to '97 Cobra swap. Advice wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default Mark VIII to '97 Cobra swap. Advice wanted.

Hey everyone, been a while since I've been on here. Life's been keeping me busy.

Anyhoo, as life would have it, I have the opportunity, and the time to own a Mustang once again! However, as life would have it, I have to work for it if I want it. :/

So a friend had recently bought a '98 Mark VIII, low miles (~100k), and the car, overall was in pretty good condition until he rearended someone. Not the front's a bit messed up. So I can pick this car up for SUPER cheap (actually no money just trading stuff I don't need/want).

Another friend happens to have a 1997 Cobra that has no engine/trans, wiring harness, and no front bumper/headlights. I can get this car for really cheap, like $500. Supposedly, the rest of the car is clean (I'm in MI so that means a lot).

As far as a swap is concerned, what do I need to know as far as compatibility between the cars? Like, will the wiring harness hook up in the same spots? Will the exhaust manifolds/headers from the mark 8 fit into the mustang? Can I swap the Mark VIII independent rear suspension into the mustang? Does the Mark VIII radiator fit in a mustang? Are the motor mounts the same?

I'm planning on using a TR3650 I have for the trans and I'm aware of the differences between the mark 8 6 bolt crank and the Cobra 8 bolt crank. Is there anything other than a flywheel/clutch kit/shifter that I would need for this to happen?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If it's a 97-98 Mark VIII then you should be in there like swim wear as far as the wiring goes. Even if it is a bit different, it can't be that tough to make whatever harness adjustments you need to.

The exhaust manifolds are different and you'll also need the intake tube from the Cobra as well. Get the setup from a Cobra and they fit like a glove. Motor mounts are the same.

My daughter blowing up my sohc was the best thing that ever happened to my GT. Since I installed my InTech, it's like a whole new car.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:55 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
If it's a 97-98 Mark VIII then you should be in there like swim wear as far as the wiring goes. Even if it is a bit different, it can't be that tough to make whatever harness adjustments you need to.

The exhaust manifolds are different and you'll also need the intake tube from the Cobra as well. Get the setup from a Cobra and they fit like a glove. Motor mounts are the same.

My daughter blowing up my sohc was the best thing that ever happened to my GT. Since I installed my InTech, it's like a whole new car.
Thanks so much for the reply man! The same guy with the Cobra also has a set of full length headers. He was thinking of putting them on his Cobra, so I may be able to acquire his take off set.

He also put a Cold air kit on his Cobra, so he may have the original sitting around somewhere.

Thanks again brother.