4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP! (Intake manifold PI heads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 AM
96GTMust

Default HELP! (Intake manifold PI heads)

Im new to the mustang, and car world. I own a 1996 mustang GT Stock. Im planning on putting some bolt on mods, improving the upper intake. I noticed a coolant leak coming from my car and I did my homework and learned about the common intake manifold crossover cracking and leaking in 2000 mustangs and older. So naturally I'm investing in replacing and upgrading my intake manifold. Ive learned that i can install the ford racing pi intake manifold that comes stock on 2001 to 2004 4.6L SOHC 2V V8 GT Mustangs. But from my understanding is i must install PI heads first because mine is a 1996. So my first question is, is this true? my second question are PI heads Cylinder heads? My third question, will putting this intake manifold upgrade allow me to upgrade my throttle body and plenum to a 75mm and allow for further greater mods later? and my fourth question, Is it over all worth it??? I could really use some help and advice.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:28 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

PI heads are cylinder heads. PI intake manifold fits with PI heads. There might be a conversion kit for a PI intake to fit with NPI heads but I doubt it. You should be able to run the bigger tb/plenum anyway. You could also save for a supercharger instead but take care of that leak first.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:28 AM
96GTMust

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
PI heads are cylinder heads. PI intake manifold fits with PI heads. There might be a conversion kit for a PI intake to fit with NPI heads but I doubt it. You should be able to run the bigger tb/plenum anyway. You could also save for a supercharger instead but take care of that leak first.
I can run as big of Tb/plenum as I want but it's known to bog out. They say not to go bigger then a 70mm if u don't have any other mods or anything. I was just curious if upgrading the intake manifold to the ford racing manifold will prevent bogging with a larger TB/plenum. And supper charging will be coming down the road haha don't have that kind of money right now. But I was on Americanmuscle.com and on the "ford racing PI intake manifold" it says it fits 96 mustangs with PI heads. I doubt I have PI heads because my car is stock and if pI heads came stock it wouldn't bother putting "fits 96 mustangs with PI heads"
Old 06-12-2015, 09:53 AM
MaxxRPM
1st Gear Member

A couple things here.....The PI intake is a great performance mod for your stock NPI motor......But unfortunately it has to be "rigged" in order to work. The coolant ports don't line up properly so "they say" to use additional sealer around the coolant ports (search it as its a very common mod). Many say they had no problem doing this mod, but I personally couldn't get it to stop leaking coolant. In order to do it right and make it a dependable daily driver, you really need to do a full PI swap (PI manifold WITH PI heads). Yeah, it's more work and more expense but definitely more reliable.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:50 AM
96GTMust

Originally Posted by MaxxRPM
A couple things here.....The PI intake is a great performance mod for your stock NPI motor......But unfortunately it has to be "rigged" in order to work. The coolant ports don't line up properly so "they say" to use additional sealer around the coolant ports (search it as its a very common mod). Many say they had no problem doing this mod, but I personally couldn't get it to stop leaking coolant. In order to do it right and make it a dependable daily driver, you really need to do a full PI swap (PI manifold WITH PI heads). Yeah, it's more work and more expense but definitely more reliable.
Oh ok well where's the best place to get a full PI swap? For a decent price (I know it'll be a lot tho) Better to do a complete kit or the intake then the heads separately?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:29 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...npi-heads.html
You will be fine on this mod, heres a good write up above.
Personally, im running a SVO Ford intake meant for npi heads on a set of pi heads. Both the heads and intake are port matched and I have no trouble.