MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Automatic Transmission (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/720711-automatic-transmission.html)

jvshearer 07-17-2015 08:36 PM

Automatic Transmission

We just bought a 2001 GT that needs the transmission worked on. It will go in reverse but not forward. I did find out that if you coast it to a certain speed the transmission does work a little, I can feel it shift and can keep it going but if I give it to much gas it slips out of gear. It also makes buzzing nose around 2200 RPM. I need to figure out where to start and determine if it needs a repair or rebuild.

Camster 07-18-2015 01:00 PM

I think that you can assume that a 14 year old automatic will need a thorough overhaul,with a complete rebuild kit and reman torque converter installed.
To go to all of the trouble of removing it and reinstalling it without doing so,is waste of time and foolish.

oxfordgt 07-18-2015 01:57 PM

Unless you can rebuild it yourself it would be cheaper to buy a good used one and throw it in. But is sounds like your syncros are shot.

Camster 07-18-2015 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by oxfordgt (Post 8497252)
Unless you can rebuild it yourself it would be cheaper to buy a good used one and throw it in. But is sounds like your syncros are shot.

Synchros? it's an automatic.
I'm sure that it needs all new rubber and clutch plates inside.Well cooked and used after all of these years and probably neglected,or even abused.
I wouldn't be buying an old used automatic,though I'd consider a used manual.
Drop the pan,give it a sniff test,see how much muck is in the pan and how clogged the filter is.
Odds of an easy fix for an old automatic are slim to none.
If I had to relive my last experience with an old car with a bad auto trans,(especially since it was front wheel drive)I wouldn't have pursued getting it fixed.I would have taken whatever I could get for the car as someone else's project car,or junked it.
Even with my sweet 04 GT,when it needs a clutch,it will go away,priced right.

jwog666 07-18-2015 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Camster (Post 8497263)
Synchros? it's an automatic.

lmao

only way to determine if its rebuildable is to tear it down and inspect. after that you can price out what it needs and compare that to a reman unit cost v cost.

oxfordgt 07-18-2015 10:41 PM

I missed that it was an auto. I read that it would pop out of gear and automatically thought it was a manual. But still even an auto it would be cheaper to buy a good used one if you can't rebuild it yourself. Shops are only out there to rip you off.

uberstang1 07-19-2015 07:22 AM

+1 get a used transmission and be done.

Camster 07-19-2015 08:02 AM

. "Shops are only out there to rip you off."
Shops exist to make money,just like you and I go to work,and that's not unreasonable.
They also exist to put out a product that won't bounce back,consuming their profit.
If you can find an auto trans with a known history,and you don't mind doing all of the back breaking labor,and if you also don't mind a bit of a gamble if it works as it should or not,where you might get to repeat all of that labor...go for it.
Myself,I'm older,done enough knuckle busting.I've had assorted experiences with auto transmissions(only one,out of many, where I thought it a rip off with Aamco) in the last 46 years of driving,the last million+ miles-the only route that I would take based on those experiences,is a Ford reman trans.

jwog666 07-19-2015 08:34 AM

anyone who thinks that shops are only there to rip people off has been going to the wrong shops. a blanket statement that stupid boggles the mind.

2004GTconvertable 07-19-2015 08:41 AM

Try Angles List to find an Automatic Transmission shop. Find a local car club and ask some of the members about one. Go to a local car show and ask people there. If you know someone at a local used car lot ask them who they use. I am lucky I have a friend that owns a shop and he has done a couple of transmissions for me with reasonable cost and excellent results. Good luck with it.