4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01 red Mustang convertible ac and vent questions

Old 07-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Hagenfrankenstein

Default 01 red Mustang convertible ac and vent questions

I think I'm in the right area for this post, please let me know if I'm not.

My girlfriend owns a red 01 Mustang convertible and I've been growing accustomed to how things are set up with mustangs. I have some questions on the ac system and how it's designed for this body.

I read on a previous post that sticky foam in the vents is duct foam so that answers that question. Essentially, I'm noticing rare but spontaneous times where the air is not blowing, yet ac is working as well as heat. We just recently swapped the module/relay? In the ccmd I believe it's called; the black relay that is on a small board in the engine side quarter panel that also has relays for fuel injection and gas something? As well as the two relays for ac--the relay went out and we lost ac but the ac system was still good. We since regained ac, but it seems to be blowing at a pretty weak intensity, and there are a handful of times that I've noticed the vents are cold but no air actually being pushed into the cabin. On top of that, when idling in a parking lot or on super hot Arizona days at a red light, the ac will lose its cold chill and spit out warm breath air until we start moving again--my understanding is that that is from the compressor fan and I need to inspect that to see if it's cutting out or not even spinning.

My specific questions regarding this (and please feel free to correct me or let me know of something I could be missing etc):

1 How can I clean up the foam in the vents? I first thought this was the answer to the reduction of air coming through the vents, and thought they were coming from a cabin filter that never was changed but apparently there's no cabin filter on these?? Which leaves me very confused with what components are in this system and my Chilton book isn't helping.

2 If nothing is clogging the vents from proper airflow (or is there something that could be?), then the blower motor could be starting to go and I should go ahead and replace it now right?

3 The no ac while idle/parked and engine on is from the ac compressor fan, so inspecting it should reveal that it's not always running, which means I need to replace that as well and I'll have ac while idle again?

*we're planning a move from AZ to FL and I would really love to have ac with clean cabin air and NO issues or surprises like we've had in the past lol. I'm also concerned about the sticky foam being black. I'm wondering if that could be a sign of mildew on the core? I hear it's not a fun experience trying to gain access to the core to spray auto grade disinfectant to get rid of mildew on the 94-04 mustangs

Any and all info/guidance/suggestions/thoughts/ideas/rants/questions/etc are greatly appreciated! Sorry for the novel, just trying to be thorough and answer beginning questions without playing tag.