4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My 5.4 4 valve Swap begins... 2002 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 06:25 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Can u access the bolts with the k frame out?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:39 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Did you end up going with a tubular K member? With the tubular K member I could reach all of my header bolts without removing anything first.

I would also say if you are still with the OEM K member, lowering it would be your best option.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:49 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

I guess I will have to guess how much that motor is? Sorry Gary looks like no chips or Beer for you lol.

Here's hoping you don’t have to pull that motor, good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-29-2015, 11:19 PM
gmluv

Default 5.4 swap

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
oK, So tune day didn't go as plan.

We ended up with a bad IAC, and a passenger side exhaust leak which is giving us issues because with the sheer mass of the 5.4 you can't get in between the motor and the fender wall (K-Rail) to tighten bolts down more, so once we established a baseline tune that kept it running and stopped it from fouling plugs, which ironically is a just an out of the box Mach 1 stock tune, we couldn't move forward because of the above mentioned issues. Even after spending 8 solid hours at the shop we couldn't tighten the bolts on the headers enough to stop the leak, so after much fussing and frustration we were happy to get the car running without stalling.

So bac to the build shop for some more tweaks and to the store to replace the defective IAC then round 2.
1st great post and pics.
2nd congratulations on baby.
Just got my first ford (01 stang)
was so unimpressed with 4.6 I am doing same swap plus auto to stick.
Don't know which intake to use coyote, cobra, or what. I want to use my stock hood.
My question is with headers (cobra)
do they need cut ,fit,welded?
Thankx!! Cant wait to see your car done.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmluv
1st great post and pics.
2nd congratulations on baby.
Just got my first ford (01 stang)
was so unimpressed with 4.6 I am doing same swap plus auto to stick.
Don't know which intake to use coyote, cobra, or what. I want to use my stock hood.
My question is with headers (cobra)
do they need cut ,fit,welded?
Thankx!! Cant wait to see your car done.
Headerss, if you go with Pacesetters, they will almost fit right in if you're doing the 5.4L DOHC swap. You will need to bang up the outter #1 Cylinder and #5 cylinder pipes a bit for a good fit, but it shouldn't impede flow.

Have you thought about the sullivan intake? it is pricey but works and was made to fit without adapters, I was going to go the Boss 302 route until I spoke with some folks have intake gasket leaks with the adapter plates.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Did you end up going with a tubular K member? With the tubular K member I could reach all of my header bolts without removing anything first.

I would also say if you are still with the OEM K member, lowering it would be your best option.
We ended up lowering it to access the bolts, right now the k frame is ont he ground with the motor in and trans in it, while it was out again, we opted to also fix some other issues we observed.

Originally Posted by WJL
I guess I will have to guess how much that motor is? Sorry Gary looks like no chips or Beer for you lol.

Here's hoping you don’t have to pull that motor, good luck and keep us posted
Awwww, i wanted the beer.

We pulled it to fix the bolts, fond some other minor things to fix on the engine.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:55 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Very nice
Old 11-24-2015, 01:18 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Been a bit since the update... so we got everything tightened as noted, but as we began tuning we had a misfire happening across all 8 cylinders randomly. Figuring the Harness was the issue I bought a Mach 1 harness to swap our modified harness with, the car does idle better and doesn't miss as much but we're still chasing gremlins.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

First Dyno Pull with a baseline tune came in at 272.50, with 300ft lbs of torque at the wheels.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:24 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Nice, he spelled your name wrong though

Quick Reply: My 5.4 4 valve Swap begins... 2002 GT