MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Rear Suspension 2001 GT (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/721772-rear-suspension-2001-gt.html)

GimpyHSHS 09-08-2015 11:30 AM

Rear Suspension 2001 GT

Ive been doing a lot of reading, and, as always when I have questions, I am turning to you guys. My brother keeps telling me to go Watts Link, but RLCA, Panhard Bar, and Torque Arm look better to me. More readily available, and easier from what I've seen. I also particularly enjoy stoplight races and occasional (VERY occasional) trips to the local 1/8 mile drag strip.

The main reason I want to upgrade is simply for a more enjoyable trip to Hallett next year. It was a blast this year, but I want to hang with some better cars than mine, and I noticed this year that, even against 05-09 GTs with more horsepower and better suspension, I could outperform them in corners, even if I got a little lost in the straights.

With the other HP upgrades I'm planning (throttle body, plenum, cat delete, underdrives) I think I will have more fun, which is all I care about. Everyone can whip me, but I have a lot less money in my car. And having a 2015 GT-350 doesnt make you a good driver, as I certainly saw this year.

Another question, kind of going a different direction, but has anyone ever heard of using 05-09 stock coilovers on the 99-04 GTs? I have a wrecked 09 GT but the suspension is still on it. Was very low mileage. I think 40,000 miles. (Thats low to me).

Sandmanbjj 09-09-2015 03:06 PM

I'm curious here as well. I was thinking of the pan hard bar, torque arm and lca. With coil overs.

sv650lex 09-17-2015 04:31 PM

The watts link locates the rear end side to side similar to how the panhard bar would. The both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm running all maximum motorsports parts with a panhard bar and I very happy with it.

Z28KLR 09-18-2015 12:27 PM

You will probably find some good info on WL vs PHB/TA over in the "Suspension" subforum here; read the "Official Suspension Guide" thread at the top of the page in there. It is my vague understanding the a WL is better suited to road course types of driving and that PHB/TA are a little better suited to straight line acceleration. Both however offer vast improvements regardless of what kind of driving you intend to do.

As far as getting suspension components from an S197 to adapt on to an SN95, I won't say it's impossible but at the same time after years of browsing these forums I have never seen anyone actually do it. Reality is, stuff intended for your chassis will likely work out better in terms of cost effectiveness and performance vs trying to make something from a car with an entirely different chassis work on your car. The only thing from an S197 that will fit on an SN95 with relative ease that I'm aware of is the front seats; beyond the pony emblem these two cars have almost nothing in common - it would be like trying to make Fox parts work on a '64-'73 car, that's pretty much how different they are.