MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   seems like car doesn't have enough juice to turn over (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/722083-seems-like-car-doesnt-have-enough-juice-to-turn-over.html)

logan409 09-26-2015 12:20 PM

seems like car doesn't have enough juice to turn over

I have put a new battery and terminals and starter in it but when I turn the key over it only turns a couple times and seems like it don't have enough power to turn the motor over. I know the motor is not locked. Any ideas?

Urambo Tauro 09-26-2015 12:32 PM

Carefully check all cables and connections, especially the grounds. Using an ohmmeter can help track down resistance in the circuit.

Chromeshadow 09-26-2015 12:41 PM

If you have a meter, crank it over and check the voltage at the battery, not the connections to the battery, but directly to the battery. This should not drop under 9V. If it does, recharge the battery and try it again.
If it has more that 9V when cranking, the problem is probably a bad connection or bad solenoid. If you use the battery negative as your ground, check different areas such as the terminals to the solenoid and the starter when cranking. It's best if you can clip onto these points to keep your hands out of the way of moving parts. If you find a point that has under 9V, post it here. You'll also want to measure from your battery negative terminal to the case of the starter, should be too low to measure.
If you don't have a meter -either keep pouring time and money into it, take it to a shop, or get a $10 meter. We can tell you how to set it up.

logan409 09-26-2015 01:56 PM

I cut the cables back to clean copper and I'm going to buy a ohm tester. I put the battery on a charger and then had it tested and they said it was over charged.

logan409 09-26-2015 02:01 PM

I know there is a solenoid on the starter but isn't there one before the starter. I was told by the driver side under the power distribution box but I didn't see one under there

logan409 09-26-2015 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow (Post 8509764)
If you have a meter, crank it over and check the voltage at the battery, not the connections to the battery, but directly to the battery. This should not drop under 9V. If it does, recharge the battery and try it again.
If it has more that 9V when cranking, the problem is probably a bad connection or bad solenoid. If you use the battery negative as your ground, check different areas such as the terminals to the solenoid and the starter when cranking. It's best if you can clip onto these points to keep your hands out of the way of moving parts. If you find a point that has under 9V, post it here. You'll also want to measure from your battery negative terminal to the case of the starter, should be too low to measure.
If you don't have a meter -either keep pouring time and money into it, take it to a shop, or get a $10 meter. We can tell you how to set it up.

What do you mean measure from battery negative to starter case?

Chromeshadow 09-26-2015 02:23 PM

Put the negative meter lesd to the negative battery post, and the plus meter lead to the starter case...the metal side of the stater. Then crank the engine. If you have under .5 v your starter ground is good. You should have 9 v or more on the starter plus., when cranking.

logan409 09-26-2015 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow (Post 8509787)
Put the negative meter lesd to the negative battery post, and the plus meter lead to the starter case...the metal side of the stater. Then crank the engine. If you have under .5 v your starter ground is good. You should have 9 v or more on the starter plus., when cranking.

Is there no starter relay terminal before the starter that I can see is bad?

Chromeshadow 09-26-2015 04:59 PM

I think the soinoid is built into your starter, but I'm not sure. If there is one large red post and one small one, the soinoid is built in. If there is only one large red wire to the starter, follow it to the battery, you'll see a black module with three connectors on it, that would be the starter relay. Voltage on all these terminals should be over 9v when you crank the engine. Btw, it's very unlikely your battery is overcharged. Who gave you that info?

logan409 09-26-2015 07:42 PM

I put a ohm tester on the battery post not the cables or the terminals and it's was at 12.something volts then when I crank it the volts drop to 6 or 7 and it's a brand new battery