4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Possible Clutch Issues..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:02 AM
Thunderball

Default Possible Clutch Issues..?

Hey y'all..

So.. Took the pony into Ford not too long ago (months) for the clutch pedal/clutch engagement being a pain in the a**. Turned out, the clutch cable was binding which had caused for the workout I was getting while having to stomp the pedal to the ground to engage/shift.

That seemed to have been fixed after taking her in. Shifted fine.. Longer, smoother pedal engagements.

Well, now, seems this has returned. Not as much of a workout but I now have to press the pedal all the way down to engage and engages maybe just a couple inches (if that) after releasing up the pedal. Shifting also feels a little off as sometimes I will find myself having to use some muscle to shift into each gear. I am thinking that this may also have to do with this engagement issue.

I am figuring that the original issue of the cable binding has come back again...?

If this is the case.. Would anyone know if it could be a simple adjustment to cure or does this appear to be an issue that will need replacing...? Clutch replacement possibly needed? Possible lack of fluids (if so, where could I look?)?

Any ideas or thoughts help. I am hesitant to take it back to Ford (or any shop) at the moment yet this does feel like something that obviously needs tending to. I am worried that I will not have any engagement and ill be dead in the water. But like I said, anything will help!

Thanks all!
Old 09-27-2015, 02:50 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Your stock plastic clutch quadrant could be bent. Your vehicle using a mechanic clutch system so there is no fluid for the clutch setup. As far as low fluid in the trans, u would observe a leak and that would also not effect the pedal feel. The strands on the cavble could be separating at either ends as well causing the need for more adjustuments until it finally snaps.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Thunderball

Well hopefully this cable won't be snapping on me any time soon... It felt "ok" last night driving but still doesn't seem right.

I am also just hesitant to take it back to Ford since they were to fix it the first time and did not tell me of anything that could have been going bad. Just hard for me to get underneath and try to fix myself at this point and time.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Thunderball

So was checked and seems to be the pressure plate causing all this.. The springs in or around are binding..

Would this be the cause or could make sense for the issues I am having...?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

yes it makes sense
Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Valnar300

huh. I am having sort of the same issue. It just started on the drive home yesterday but i have little/no clutch release at all. I was wondering if the fingers on the pressure plate could have bent in or...?

Heres a pic of the plate

https://i.imgur.com/jx335gD.jpg
Old 10-24-2015, 12:21 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Valnar300
huh. I am having sort of the same issue. It just started on the drive home yesterday but i have little/no clutch release at all. I was wondering if the fingers on the pressure plate could have bent in or...?

Heres a pic of the plate

https://i.imgur.com/jx335gD.jpg
i cant tell from that picture
Old 10-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Valnar300

can I replace it with a stock cable? I wouldnt think so because i couldnt adjust it then.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:28 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i am running a stock cable, but i have a firewall adjuster and an aluminum quadrant no issues
Old 10-25-2015, 06:23 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

All the aftermarket adjustable cables are junk, use a modified factory cable and a firewall adjuster. Get a 3 hook metal quadrant as well.

Quick Reply: Possible Clutch Issues..?