4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

blue and smelly brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

Default blue and smelly brake

just changed my brakes and I got my left rear smelling and turned blue as if heated no smoke even after high speeds. also wheel itself is burning to the touch as the other side is just warm. light rotational screeching when not braking. never hard this happen before , that caliper was a lot harder to open. any ideas?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Do the slide pins move? They need to be well-lubricated with high-temp grease.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

I think I will disassemble that side and re apply lube. it was the last rotor I did so it got the least lube. is there anything else I should do with it disassembled like a way I can test to see if the caliber is not working right?
Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a sticking caliper, can you turn the wheel by hand?, you should be able too.

Try taking the wheel off have someone step on the brake pedal while watching the caliper, you should be able to see some movement, it should tighten up and release when you take your foot off the pedal.

I don’t know what your experience is, you do know you need to turn the piston clockwise while compressing it in order to get it to seat, if not you will never get it to completely seat and could cause a tight brake pad fit. Also as mentioned above make sure the pins are not stuck and well lubed. Just some wild A$$ guesses.

good luck
Old 10-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

it appeared to me that one of the pads wedged at a angle when I first moved my car. this morning I herd a small click noise then no more grinding noise. but I still took it apart and reassembled, put on whole thing of lube just on that side. no more smell or large amount of heat but still have a light rotational grinding sound nothing like before. could that just be the bad pad resurfacing?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

ok I think I found why the pad was messed up my brake assembly is grinding on the brake itself, 8 years ago I was tapped on rim by a guy that didn't know how to hold is brake at a stop sign as I was turning in to a parking lot. I guess this is the first time I changed my rear disks. the brake disk /caliper is off center and grinding. what are my options here?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Bent caliper bracket? Replace.
I'd be sure that the slide pins(where the caliper bolts go into) are properly floating and not seized.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There are alignment pins on the rear pads that MUST be aligned with the caliper piston notches before you put things back together. Otherwise you get the symptoms you're describing.

this image shows the correct clock position of the caliper piston that lines up with the pad pins... http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/F...-Guide-015.JPG
Old 10-07-2015, 02:50 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

That's a very good point Derf00
Old 10-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I've been working on cars for over 20 years and I still managed to overlook that fact when I changed the rear pads on my '08 last year.

Quick Reply: blue and smelly brake