4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

caliper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I don't understand how you would "reposition" it. It only goes on one way.

I'm concerned about this tap from the Eclipse. I would remove the wheel on the other side and compare both assemblies. With the rear jacked up, set it in neutral and look at how it spins. You should be able to find the problem that way.

At this point, I'm wondering if the axle flange (that your caliper bracket mounts to) is bent inward. If the rotor's contact with the caliper bracket is intermittent, the hub of the axleshaft is bent. There's also a possibility that your parts supplier gave you the wrong caliper bracket.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 10-13-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:19 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

I mean loosen the brake at the axel and move it closer to the disk. it appears to me that caliper is inward on the axel to far. is this possible
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

i completely unassembled it again and looked at the axel there is a light variation where the axel slides in, i turned it and it's constant not waving. it's almost nothing maybe 1/32 of a inch but after you throw the rotor on i bet that's almost a 1/4 inch.....
Old 10-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

compared both sides, the bad side is visually toed in, from front to rear. my tire shows no wear that would make me think something is out of alignment ... so I'm guessing the toe just happens to be in perfect alignment with the road or I would have un-even tires wear right?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

It's hard to say. I'm reading a text description of an un-measured visual check. (no offense) Either the toe is correct, or it's not. If the rear toe is so bad that you can visually tell that it's out of spec, then something's seriously out of whack. Rear toe is not adjustable on these beam axles.
Originally Posted by Drastang
there is a light variation where the axel slides in, i turned it and it's constant not waving. it's almost nothing maybe 1/32 of a inch but after you throw the rotor on i bet that's almost a 1/4 inch.....
"Variation where the axle slides in" to what? ...Where it slides into the axle tube? I don't understand.

The "axle" is the entire assembly, about five feet long. The 2 "axle-shafts" are about 30 inches long and have the hub on the outer end with your lug studs. The "axle tubes" are what your axle-shafts slide into, reaching the differential in the center.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:01 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

That is absolutly a bad or wrong caliper braket, take it back.
you are on the right track take it off.

There is ether something in back of the rotor holding it out or it is the wrong bracket.

Go back to where you bought it and make them compair to another one
Old 10-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

well I put 2 washers in each of the bolts that attach the base bracket and *taduh* it works like new,

WJL this is my 2nd try on that my original bracket did the same thing.

how long should I let those 2 washers ride? seems to still give the bolt enough room to seat very well, I put them at 35ftlb just to be safe

I want to say thank you to both of you I know I can sound realy stupid I've had brain surgery and things don't always connect right up there....thanks for still helping.

and yes I meant that axel shaft is slightly off compared to the tubes barely noticeable but it's there.

Last edited by Drastang; 10-14-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:13 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

As long as you have four to five threads of the bolt in you should be good to go maybe even a little lock tight.

It’s not that uncommon to shim aftermarket disc brake kits, however I’ve never had to shim a stock part, glad to hear its working.

Stay on the forum and lets us know how it’s working over the long run.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Now that you mention aftermarket brakes, I am noticing the disc in the picture is drilled... Maybe the hat portion of the disc is a different spec, and the caliper bracket is correct after all. Hard to say without comparing the parts side-by-side.

Good to hear you got it working, Drastang!

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 10-14-2015 at 08:05 PM.