4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best way to blow $2k?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:57 AM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Default Best way to blow $2k?

No's:

Nitrous
Turbo/SC

Currently I'm looking into some headers, I'm torn between full length and long tubes. I could probably get some LT's for cheap but labor and extenders are gonna hurt but then again mid lengths sell for about $600-700. Im gonna have a shop install so right now im shopping around, I've done them before but I really don't feel like doing this and running into issues since I'd be doing it at an on post shop.

The exhaust and gears are will be done at the same time, I've had LTs before and are not worth having without gears with the lower end torque gone. Im going for 3.73, idk if I should get those off ebay or buy them new, I really don't feel like worrying about breaking them in and such.

If there's any dough left over I wanna beef up my suspension with a strut tower brace and some Full length subframe connectors, I'll end up doing slotted rotors later and possibly some steel braided lines, Im trying to get a list going of where to get these parts the cheapest because most of these things I wont install myself, just don't have the time or the help/experience.

*update

I just purchased some subframe connectors so that's one thing off my mod list, and i also found a place that installs long tube headers for $400 so that's a major score, they also sell a lot of performance parts which they got bbk long tube headers for $400, which is cheaper than most places but i know I've come across, im hoping to find some used one's cheap, does anybody know if pacesetters are decent, found some on ebay for a little under $300.

All that's left for my list is the headers and some cheap gears, a strut tower brace and some time after that im gonna buy some steel braided brake lines and slotted rotors and i should be good to go.

*UPDATE II

Well I managed to score some pacesetters for $100, they're a little scuffed up but they look pretty good, came with extensions so that was a pretty good score, im in the process of cleaning them up, I wanna do header wrap but I really don't wanna spend the money, some header paint with enough coats should be good. Does anybody body know what OEM exhaust manifold gaskets go for in yalls area? I went to for and apparently the whole set is $120, idk, I've never spent that much for some gaskets in my life. Can I just reuse my old ones? The car has 40k on it, I hope they're still good.

Hopefully today I can score some new gears from a guy I found on craiglist, we'll see how that goes.

*UPDATE III

So i scored the gears, they're jeggs brand and came with the rebuild kit and i got it for $100!!! Pics for proof.

Name:  20151207_205814_1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  186.1 KB

I with these deals ive increased my budget for new rotars and steel brake lines, i would say maybe even a cam but i think im a bit far from that.

will a brake caliper kit for a 94 GT mustang work on my car?

Last edited by cominus; 12-07-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: update III
Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

If you do go with longtubes then you'll need a shorty mid pipe too. I would still do it but it eats up more of the budget.

I would get brand new gears and find an installer that knows/does gear installations on a regular basis. You might not need to break em in after several heat cool cycles.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Bump for update!!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Not really sure on the whole gear break-in thing, seems to be more of an internet superstition than anything else.... Think about it, of the hundreds of thousands of new cars that are sold here every year, do you think very many if any of their new owners are worried about breaking in the ring and pinion gears, or do they just drive it off the lot and go about their business as usual?

If gear break-in were crucial at all I would think that dealer service departments would be flooded with cars and trucks needing related warranty work. They aren't.

And by the way, especially since it sounds like you're not going the power adder route, go with 4.10's. People get 3.73 all the time and then wonder what 4.10 would be like, nobody ever gets 4.10 and cries themself to sleep at night over the decision. And if you want N2O or a centri blower later on someday they will work just fine with that too.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:35 PM
macman45
1st Gear Member

LT's and Cams should do it
Old 12-07-2015, 02:15 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

UPDATE!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

The best way to blow 2k is to give it to me....

Old 12-12-2015, 05:38 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Im going with drugs & hookers!
Old 12-12-2015, 05:41 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR

And by the way, especially since it sounds like you're not going the power adder route, go with 4.10's. People get 3.73 all the time and then wonder what 4.10 would be like, nobody ever gets 4.10 and cries themself to sleep at night over the decision. And if you want N2O or a centri blower later on someday they will work just fine with that too.
Weird..I never once wondered what 4.10s would feel like on my low 9 second car with 3.73s. I must be doing something wrong???
Old 12-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Weird..I never once wondered what 4.10s would feel like on my low 9 second car with 3.73s. I must be doing something wrong???
Well if you have enough power to run 9's then there's probably lots of things you're not wondering about lol.

Quick Reply: Best way to blow $2k?