MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   RPM high when i shift gears have to wait to drop to shift to next gear. I need help (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/723287-rpm-high-when-i-shift-gears-have-to-wait-to-drop-to-shift-to-next-gear-i-need-help.html)

RPM2night 12-13-2015 01:47 AM

RPM high when i shift gears have to wait to drop to shift to next gear. I need help

Ok so I bought this Mustang today drove it home 3 hours it seems the Idle or the rev like maybe the throttle is sticking? keeps the RPM'S up

I'm in no means able to afford to go to a mechanic so I figured I would come to a board I come to boards for all my Vehicles when I get them to be apart of them so here I'm first time mustang

I have ford 2000 gt mustang 100k miles 4.6

Ok so here is the problem if anyone can help me out I have seen many videos when looking up things like map? sensor or map? The service engine light just come on to took it to auto zone it was a code for 02 sensor both of them 15718 and the 15716 now I don't know if this is why I'm having problems.

So here is the problem When at a stop it idles ok I take off the RPMS jump to like 5 and sits there for couple seconds I have to wait to go to 2nd for it to drop.

I then go to 2nd take off and rpm goes to 5 again and I wait for it to go down.
same in every gear.

When it goes it goes ok but I will say this when I romp on it at like 55 or 60 it doesn't seem like it should have the power it should have.

Car starts with 1 turn and does prr ok.

Maybe I have a couple problems here if anyone could point me in the right direction ill start to look into it myself.

The main thing that bugs me is them high rpms sitting there and I wait for it to go down before shifting up.

Thanks I know for most boards people have good ideas to help where to start.

Look forward to being apart of the mustang forum.

RPM2night 12-13-2015 07:04 AM

45 reviews and no comments this cant be a new problem is it? :)

RPM2night 12-15-2015 01:28 AM

hmmm Still no one has any ideas at all about what would cause this? The rpm going up high and staying there for a few 2nds before It lets me shift is the one bugging me.

Sandmanbjj 12-15-2015 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by RPM2night (Post 8521242)
hmmm Still no one has any ideas at all about what would cause this? The rpm going up high and staying there for a few 2nds before It lets me shift is the one bugging me.

If it was me I would start with the simple. Check to see if the throttle cable is kinked or sticking. Shouldn't take long. Disconnect it from the throttle body and see if the throttle body is sticking. Both of those should move smooth with no hang ups. Maybe hit them with some lube.
Change the O2 sensors since you are getting a code. But I don't think that they are related.
Does the vehicle smoke?
Do you know the history of the car?
100k is nothing for these motors unless you beat the snot out of them.
When I buy a used car, I always do a tune up from day one to make sure I at least have a starting point. Change the air filter, oil, oil filter, check fluid levels, check the plugs...etc

RPM2night 12-17-2015 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sandmanbjj (Post 8521267)
If it was me I would start with the simple. Check to see if the throttle cable is kinked or sticking. Shouldn't take long. Disconnect it from the throttle body and see if the throttle body is sticking. Both of those should move smooth with no hang ups. Maybe hit them with some lube.
Change the O2 sensors since you are getting a code. But I don't think that they are related.
Does the vehicle smoke?
Do you know the history of the car?
100k is nothing for these motors unless you beat the snot out of them.
When I buy a used car, I always do a tune up from day one to make sure I at least have a starting point. Change the air filter, oil, oil filter, check fluid levels, check the plugs...etc

Well I took it in for a full bumper to bumper inspection ,

The 02 sensor was bad and there is a crankshaft oil seal leaking R&R and pinion shaft r&r leaking

They drove it I had them replace the sensor for now . But was just reading the notes on the bumper to bumper check I don't see nothing about that throttle which is odd.. but also don't see it in the notes when I took it in ill call them back tomorrow and remind them see what they say if I paid for that full inspection and they drove it they should be telling me what is up why is it doing that I would think.

I'm going to call them back tomorrow.

But your right to I will do a tune up and all fluids changed to.

WJL 12-17-2015 03:08 PM

Search hanging rpms and you will find the solution Hint: Idle air control

RPM2night 12-17-2015 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by WJL (Post 8521577)
Search hanging rpms and you will find the solution Hint: Idle air control

Oh wow it looks like this is a major problem for everyone with these.

From all the video I see it looks like you replace the Idle air control valve, Or just put in a new gasket or just clean it?

From all the videos I have seen and I'm new to all this I just started last year wanting to do everything myself on my cars.

So is this correct in doing this?

Maybe clean it and put new gasket?

Every other post talks about that when I google it.

Thanks for you reply that is exactly what is going on with this car.

Hangs up actually at 2000 rpm don't go down for couple seconds

WJL 12-19-2015 03:52 PM

Don't go out and buy an IAC just yet, Start the car let it warm up then disconnect the wires to the IAC car should stall, also this will set off a check engine light. If the car stall there is a little trick you can try

Go to the hardware store buy a 1/2" copper pipe cap Solder type drill a 1/4" hole in the middle of it pull the hose off the IAC put the pipe cap in the hose put back together start it and see what the idle does then.

If you searched this forum you should have found better direction on how to do this. By restricting the flow to the iac it will drop the rpm, if it drops and stalls drill the hole a little bigger

Good Luck if i get some time tonight i will send you some pictures on how to

Dave19525 12-24-2015 01:41 PM

When my 03GT had that problem a couple years ago, I pulled off the IAC and removed the gasket. I then cut a new gasket using the old one as my template, BUT I made the hole in the gasket a lot smaller (about half the size). Worked great for me. I believe I got that trick from a post here on this forum.

uberstang1 12-25-2015 02:36 AM

iac motor