4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sound when warming up/reving

Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Thunderball

Default Sound when warming up/reving

Ok guys,

So within the last few days I've been hearing a "new" sound..

Start the car, let her warm up. I'll slightly rev/push on th e gas, no more than 2k rpm.

I will hear a sound along with the motor reving... It almost sounds like a lawnmower or a 2-stroke motor sound along with the engine itself while reving.

If I put the in the clutch an rev, the sound goes away. Release the clutch pedal and rev, sound comes back when reving.

Once the car warms up enough, I'll rev both ways and the sound appears to be gone. I'm not sure how else to describe the additional noise but it is there in addition to the normal reving of the motor when pressing on the gas in nutrual.

Have had a new clutch and adjustable clutch cable done maybe a couple months/800-1000miles ago.

Any ideas on what this could even be??

Thanks guys!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:05 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Cracked intake manifold?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Thunderball

I'll take a look at that later on. But would it be that when it only happens with the whole engagement and disengament of the clutch..?
Old 02-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Throw out bearing.
One of those items that should be changed at the same time as the clutch.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Since the noise is dependent on pushing/releasing the clutch pedal, I would say it's a very high likelyhood the noise is being generated by the throwout bearing.

What brand parts were installed in your car when you had that work done a few months ago? Just FYI, it is widely accepted that the only decent bearings for these cars are oem Ford bearings. The bearings supplied with aftermarket clutch kits - doesn't matter if it's from Autozone or you got an Exedy or whatever high performance clutch from AM; for whatever reason these non-oem bearings are known for having longevity issues. Some begin to fail very early on, like in the first 500 miles, some last 15,000 miles. But either way they tend to fail long before you need a new clutch.

Could also be an adjustment issue. To the best of my knowledge, "adjustable" cables are generally not recommended on these cars. Instead, use a fixed style cable with either the factory quadrant and it's built in adjustment mechansism or if running an aftermarket "performance" clutch then generally you would want a fixed cable, aftermarket aluminum quadrant and use a firewall mounted adjustment mechanism to get it all dialed in.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Thunderball

Throwout bearing is new and was changed with the clutch (I hope) - was a clutch package, I believe was exedy. And when getting the adjustable I went with maximum motorsports also with the quadrant.

You could be right, it alao slightly sounds like there's a good rattle going on down there along with this noise while reving.

The guys said they re-surfaced the flywheel yet I still have some chatter ad well. I'm also wondering if my diff could be low on fluids which could also be doing/causing this. Yet, good away after engagement of the clutch.

Also, I do on occasion adjust the clutch tension with the **** up top from time to time due to the pedal engaging with little let-off from the floor. I'm now wondering by me messing with that had semi-caused this as well since I have not gone under to do any adjusting....
Old 02-11-2016, 04:46 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

IF the noise goes away when you push the clutch pedal in, then I suspect a input shaft bearing problem. Possibly even a pilot bearing, since some guys tend to skip changing that because its a pain to get out.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:01 AM
Thunderball

To my knowledge, a pilot bearing was with the clutch kit and installed on.. Unless I just got the royal shaft on this one
Old 02-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Thunderball

And now there's a squeaking type noise as well.. Thought it was from the belts but its for sure from around the clutch area..

Also, its a stage one clutch kit from exedy if that makes a difference
Old 02-15-2016, 06:15 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Take a little more slack out of the cable I bet it stops all together then. Throw out bearing needs to have a little preload on it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound when warming up/reving