4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear LCA Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:22 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Default Rear LCA Worth It?

They're on sale on AM, i was wondering if they're worth the upgrade?

I've ready that if you do the upper they tend to bind, what does that mean exactly? I have wheel hope even with 285 on the rear and that was with stock gears, i haven't tried my current set up, i just wanna know if it's worth the $100.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:05 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

LCAs help but if you have wheel hop like most of these cars, adjustable uppers to change pinion angle and lowering probly do more for curing wheel hop than just lca alone.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

stock controls arms are TERRBILE. Id recommend staying away from a poly ended arm and go straight with a heim joint arm from Team Z motorsports or UPR.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:03 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Read the "Official Suspension Guide" sticky before buying, if you haven't read through it already. By design, some lca's are better than others and some I wouldn't want anywhere near my car.

And yes, very worthwhile and noticeable upgrade.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:35 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
stock controls arms are TERRBILE. Id recommend staying away from a poly ended arm and go straight with a heim joint arm from Team Z motorsports or UPR.
Those require me to delete the sway bar, how is that helpful?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:30 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

You don't have to delete it.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Ex...2004-P530.aspx
Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

The binding they are talking about is when the axle is moving up and down, the control arms are also going up and down especially when you do a hard lunch the car will squat not only does the car squat down but the axle itself wants to twist.

Between the two motions the aftermarket rear upper control arm will bind up or for a lack of a better description they stick and don't want to move up or down smoothly like they should.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
That looks exactly like this one.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-rea...-7904-red.html

I actually found a guy on craiglist that's selling some that look like those except it's the rubber kind with the grease fitting, i think it's something i can do on my own, it's only the lowers though but he'll let them go for $80. Sound like a good deal?

Between the two motions the aftermarket rear upper control arm will bind up or for a lack of a better description they stick and don't want to move up or down smoothly like they should.
So binding is bad right? Im not looking for a drag set up, honestly i don't drag but with a cam coming in and other mods i don't want my suspension lacking, i already have some subframes going in as we speak, and i found a guy selling a strut tower brace for $25. So if i can get the lca and the strut brace i should be pretty set for a while.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:37 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Correct binding is not good from every thing I've read its only the uppers that have this problem
Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

is your car lowered? if its lowered changing arms could lead to pinion angle issues like stated already. Adjustable is really the only way to go...and i wouldnt cheap out. I've also seen the ends egg out and bushings fall apart. I'd go straight to heim joints like uberdouche said. do it right the first time

Quick Reply: Rear LCA Worth It?