4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Questions on Magnaflow, Flowmaster and MAC cat back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:43 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

I just put a prochamber in. flows won't drone with an x pipe but will with an h pipe or prochamber.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:38 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

One of our tech support guys is a big Flowmaster fan. He has had 40 series Flowmasters on his 5.0 fox, 1998 GT and his 2002 GT.

The fox had short tube headers, a Magnaflow x-pipe with cats and 40 series flows with turn downs. No drone.

The 1998 had stock manifolds, a Bassani off road x-pipe and 40 series flows with turn downs. No drone.

The 2002 is all stock with 40 series flows with turn downs. No drone.

Every combination will be different as will every person's opinion on the sound. Best bet is to buy what you like and you will most likely be happy.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:37 PM
ckelly78z

I currently have the stock mufflers on my 2004 Mustang and like that I can hear them if I get on it, but very quiet when traveling. My Porsche 944 was rediculously droney with Walker turbo muffler. A Magnaflow on the Porsche really quited things down, and gave it a powerful sound
Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

don't know much about your motor, but on my 3.7 the magnaflo catback is sweet, been 2yrs and it only gets better, yes drone up to@ 3 grand, then really sweet, the drone really doesn't bother me , because it sounds so damn good
Old 03-24-2016, 08:13 PM
lazer

Good to know about Flowmaster no droan with an x pipe but so many complain about the droan Im not going to take a chance. If the magnaflows dont have enough rumble I will put an H pipe on. Regarding 3.7s or just about any 6 cylinder there is almost always going to be a droan when going with anything but stock.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:53 PM
lazer

Originally Posted by cominus
I just put a prochamber in. flows won't drone with an x pipe but will with an h pipe or prochamber.
Guess that could be true----but all the different articles (different web sites) on H and X pipes I have read say that H pipes lessen or eliminate the drone and give more rumble.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Honestly these cars arent very loud, i mean not compared to an lt1/ls1 with any exhaust.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:38 PM
lazer

I have read many many reviews, posts and listen to many sound clips----I have decided to go with Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow. For every muffler I read up on, one person would say they are too loud another would say they are too quiet. One would say they drone another would say no drone. Im staying with the factory cats and my 01 Cobra has a factory H pipe so with that and Flowmaster delta flow is supposed to have the least 40 series drone, I think I should be ok. This should meet my requirement of louder than stock but not much but still have a good rumble. Of all other brand sound clips I listen too for me they had either too much rasp or too loud. I was surprised that I have a factory H pipe as I never seen anyone else mention that. I bought the Delta Flowmasters from amazon for $94 each, no tax, no shipping. part#942444

Last edited by lazer; 04-07-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:29 AM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Dude flows are in no way loud, i mean NO way loud, they are bassy at certain rpms, which means they'll vibrate alot, people think that's drone, that is incorrect, drone is like a 1k hertz tone that echos through the cab and gives you a head ache after prolonged exposure which is what i got when i had macs on my v6 mustang.

The pypes m80s gave a drone when i had high flow cats and was cruising at highway speeds, bassani was stupid quiet when i got longtubes because they flow so well, flows were great but had to replace because they were a knock off brand, and now i have slp lm1 and they are super bassy at low rpms and pretty loud but i love them. If yoi want some bassani's ill sell you my pair, of you want flows make sure you buy the real ones and not the knock off jegs or whatever.

https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/pts/5488015908.html
Old 04-09-2016, 05:40 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by cominus
I'm running L/T headers, Flowmaster American Thunder C/B (40's), and an O/R X pipe....DRONE!!!!!!!!