4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tube front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

Default tube front end

anyone got a "how to" on making a 99-04 tubular front?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:56 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

What, like make your own K member?
Old 03-26-2016, 06:35 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

no I mean full front removal change to coil over and replace with tubular pipe. a friend of mine said that chevys have a 2 piece frame and you can just remove front end from firewall. Are our front ends built like that? I hear you can drop 100lb+ by doing that. got family member with a lot of stainless steel pipe who would love the challenge.

Last edited by Drastang; 03-26-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:24 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/qa1-tu...4-install.html
Old 03-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drastang
no I mean full front removal change to coil over and replace with tubular pipe. a friend of mine said that chevys have a 2 piece frame and you can just remove front end from firewall. Are our front ends built like that? I hear you can drop 100lb+ by doing that. got family member with a lot of stainless steel pipe who would love the challenge.
The only thing that's really removeable on these cars is the K member. The rest of the car is unibody, so unless you're into cutting the entire front end off of the car from the firewall and then figuring out how to fab something up - which if it doesn't work out you will be left with a parts car, there's not much to do.

Swapping to an aftermarket K member yeilds a weight reduction of around 50 lbs.

If I were to do this, I would just buy a K member and A arms and whatever else and call it good. Companies like Maximum Motorsports, QA1, UPR have hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars invested on R&D of their products, which is not something that a DIY'er attempting to fab up themself will likely get right on the first attempt.

As an option, you could buy somebody's K member and then just copy the design and fab up your own, return the unused product when you're done.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

ok I understand, I was only going to do this if it had easy disconnect points from firewall. he has already done this mod b4 he was actually the one that told me about it but like i said he had only done it on Camaros and he said that there fronts have easy mounting points that you can start the tube at.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:08 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

If you're talking about doing this then you better be making some serious power because most lower classes wont allow it. And if you use stainless steel tubing you will more than likely get kicked off the track no matter what you run.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

that's exactly what I was talking about. I'm definitely going to do it but I will wait till I install my turbo I want a street able 900hp car. I will have to talk to a guy doing my dyno after the rebuild about track laws.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:28 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

With only 900hp you will be limited to only run true street type classes where altering the font end other than the core support is illegal. I doubt your "dyno guy" can answer the question but it's all on the internet. Find the class you want to run and look up the rules. Unless you want to bracket race then you can do what you want but you can buy a 100hp 1990 caviler and be competitive in bracket racing.

Are you doing a single turbo? If so which?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

the guy that's been helping me when I can't find what I want on here. He has a 1300hp fox body, he just lives a hour away and we both are family men so hard to find time to talk to him.. I was planning to go twin and do the one smaller / one larger turbo design. But the guy I talk to is driving me to nuts to go just 1 single like his fox body with a high compression to make up for spool time. he is running 11-1 on his 1300hp fox and is launching off the line really well.

Last edited by Drastang; 03-28-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: tube front end