4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Convertible top ram replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:43 PM
millhouse961

Default Convertible top ram replacement

Looks like my driver's side ram is leaking and will need to be replaced. I haven't taken the panel apart yet to see exactly whats going on, but considering those rams are 16 years old, it seems likely that it is what is leaking. My question is, If i replace 1 side, should I just replace them both? Or will it function fine with 1 brand new ram and 1 16 year old one?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I would at a minimum undo the convertible top well so you can look and see for sure what is actually leaking - start at the pump motor, follow the lines and look at the fittings between there and the lift cylinders on each side. It would be a shame to buy new lift cylinders only to start taking stuff apart and find the problem somewhere else.

As a band-aid for a very minor leak/seepage somewhere you could just refill the pump motor and call it good. I have to do that with mine every couple years. It just uses Mercon ATF.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:25 PM
millhouse961

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I would at a minimum undo the convertible top well so you can look and see for sure what is actually leaking - start at the pump motor, follow the lines and look at the fittings between there and the lift cylinders on each side. It would be a shame to buy new lift cylinders only to start taking stuff apart and find the problem somewhere else.

As a band-aid for a very minor leak/seepage somewhere you could just refill the pump motor and call it good. I have to do that with mine every couple years. It just uses Mercon ATF.
Already did the band aid and it only lasted about a month or so. I do intend to inspect everything before ordering parts, if it is the ram, do I need to replace both or just the leaking one?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I would do just the leaker.
The system works ok,right? until the fluid level drops?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 AM
millhouse961

Originally Posted by Camster
I would do just the leaker.
The system works ok,right? until the fluid level drops?
Yeah works like a champ when its full of fluid. Good advice, thanks
Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by millhouse961
Already did the band aid and it only lasted about a month or so. I do intend to inspect everything before ordering parts, if it is the ram, do I need to replace both or just the leaking one?
Once you find what's leaking just fix that part. It will work fine until you end up with another leak.
But if you are willing to spend a few extra bucks and only do the job once, change both.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:40 AM
millhouse961

pulled it apart yesterday, sure enough its the ram. Took a peak at the other side and turns out that one is leaking too just not nearly as bad. Oh well, replacement parts on the way!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by millhouse961
pulled it apart yesterday, sure enough its the ram. Took a peak at the other side and turns out that one is leaking too just not nearly as bad. Oh well, replacement parts on the way!
Did you buy new ones or used? My 2 cents. Get new ones. I have installed " leak free" used sets. Trying to save a few bucks. I have a set of new ones going on as soon as I get my engine back in. I bought 2 sets of rams used... guaranteed to be fully functional and leak free. Hahahaha. I now have 2 electric motors I ended up with. So it's not a bad thing all together I guess
Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 PM
millhouse961

Originally Posted by Sandmanbjj
Did you buy new ones or used? My 2 cents. Get new ones. I have installed " leak free" used sets. Trying to save a few bucks. I have a set of new ones going on as soon as I get my engine back in. I bought 2 sets of rams used... guaranteed to be fully functional and leak free. Hahahaha. I now have 2 electric motors I ended up with. So it's not a bad thing all together I guess
Oh yeah, I bought 2 brand new ones from american muscle. I dont ever bother with used parts
Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 PM
millhouse961

Little update, did this repair a week ago and man what a difference. When I took the panels off I found the previous owners temporary "fix" to the problem:

Glad to say all is working great now!

Quick Reply: Convertible top ram replacement