4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PLEASE HELP wrong pistons knock & pinging

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Guess I better tell all my crew chief buddy's they're doing it wrong because a guy on a forum pulled up an online magazine LMAO. Can't wait to go into work on monday and have a great laugh with all of your responses today. Keep them coming building $50,000 engines get boring and we need a laugh.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:03 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

here we go more about your "buddy" and all your $50k engines lmao, you have been proven a liar by many over the years. keep it up and ill dig thtough and find the many threads lmao.
apparently a company that has been making engine products for the last 50 years must know less then you and the thousands of people who have built tested and proven supercharged engines over the years? lol im laughing so hard im crying right now
Old 05-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Building an engine with higher than 9.40:1 and FI is the exception, not the rule.
building $50,000 engines get boring
The level of difficulty goes way up and the likelihood of blowing up your engine goes way up. The best solution (inho) is to use the correct pistons to get a more usable compression ratio.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:13 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Building an engine with higher than 9.40:1 and FI is the exception, not the rule. The level of difficulty goes way up and the likelihood of blowing up your engine goes way up. The best solution (inho) is to use the correct pistons to get a more usable compression ratio.
^^^^^^common sense, and correct answer
Old 05-14-2016, 11:20 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
Guess I better tell all my crew chief buddy's they're doing it wrong because a guy on a forum pulled up an online magazine LMAO. Can't wait to go into work on monday and have a great laugh with all of your responses today. Keep them coming building $50,000 engines get boring and we need a laugh.
if you are telling them what to do i absolutely would tell them that they are doing it wrong

and if you are constantly building $50k engines, i would look at building one that holds up for a change
Old 05-14-2016, 11:30 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

here is some more info from a trusted source.....Kenne Bell, a company that builds and sells superchargers and kits.......shocker i know, im sure ox knows more then them as well.

How is supercharging better than raising the compression ratio? Both increase torque and horsepower by squeezing more air fuel charge into the same area. In the case of higher compression ratio (milled heads or domed pistons) the increased power from this higher compression helps ONLY on the power stroke. The higher compressed air fuel mix will fire with a bigger bang. Again, that is the only point during the 4 engine cycles where higher compression helps. However, with a supercharger, the cylinder is fully pressurized during all 4 cycles. The higher boosted air is forced into the cylinders during the entire intake stroke and is blown out the exhaust on the exhaust stroke. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Will a higher compression ratio improve my fuel economy? Yes, but it also requires an accompanying increase in fuel octane whereas a supercharger only demands higher octane when in boost.

COMPRESSION RATIO - Lowering the compression ratio allows the engine to run more boost with the same octane. For example, 8.0:1 vs 9.5:1 can tolerate another 3 psi. 3 psi gives 38-60HP. The 1.5 lower CR loses 3% (2% per point) or around 9HP in a 300HP engine. Now you know why OEM's use low compression ratios on supercharged engines.

RODS & PISTONS
When exceeding 450RWHP, we recommend replacing the stock cast pistons and powdered metal rods with forged H beam rods and forged
8.0-8.5 pistons which should allow the engine to run another 3-5 psi (12-15 psi) depending on pump fuel octane. Remember this. Power is all
about cylinder pressure and it is easier and far less expensive to change supercharger boost than pistons and compression ratio. Reducing the
compression ratio from the stock 9.5 to 8.5 or 8.0 will lower power by approx. 3%-4% respectively (see "HP vs. Compression Ratio"), but the
lower compression will permit the engine to run 3-5 psi (45-75HP) of additional boost which will more than offset the relatively small power loss
from CR.

lets see you bull$hit your way through this, just because i cut and paste this info doesnt make it any less the facts
Old 05-15-2016, 08:04 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
if you are telling them what to do i absolutely would tell them that they are doing it wrong

and if you are constantly building $50k engines, i would look at building one that holds up for a change
My engines always hold up. Hell my personal NA engine that makes a **** load more then your supercharged junk will last way longer.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
My engines always hold up. Hell my personal NA engine that makes a **** load more then your supercharged junk will last way longer.
you mean that video that showed power numbers on a screen with no actual graph of hp/tq vs rpm? for all we know your NA engine makes power from 6-9k rpm, completely useless on the street, thats assuming that you arent making chit up like all the other times. supercharged junk? lmao its always like an idiot to try and tear down things he doesnt understand
Old 05-15-2016, 08:13 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
here is some more info from a trusted source.....Kenne Bell, a company that builds and sells superchargers and kits.......shocker i know, im sure ox knows more then them as well.

How is supercharging better than raising the compression ratio? Both increase torque and horsepower by squeezing more air fuel charge into the same area. In the case of higher compression ratio (milled heads or domed pistons) the increased power from this higher compression helps ONLY on the power stroke. The higher compressed air fuel mix will fire with a bigger bang. Again, that is the only point during the 4 engine cycles where higher compression helps. However, with a supercharger, the cylinder is fully pressurized during all 4 cycles. The higher boosted air is forced into the cylinders during the entire intake stroke and is blown out the exhaust on the exhaust stroke. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Will a higher compression ratio improve my fuel economy? Yes, but it also requires an accompanying increase in fuel octane whereas a supercharger only demands higher octane when in boost.

COMPRESSION RATIO - Lowering the compression ratio allows the engine to run more boost with the same octane. For example, 8.0:1 vs 9.5:1 can tolerate another 3 psi. 3 psi gives 38-60HP. The 1.5 lower CR loses 3% (2% per point) or around 9HP in a 300HP engine. Now you know why OEM's use low compression ratios on supercharged engines.

RODS & PISTONS
When exceeding 450RWHP, we recommend replacing the stock cast pistons and powdered metal rods with forged H beam rods and forged
8.0-8.5 pistons which should allow the engine to run another 3-5 psi (12-15 psi) depending on pump fuel octane. Remember this. Power is all
about cylinder pressure and it is easier and far less expensive to change supercharger boost than pistons and compression ratio. Reducing the
compression ratio from the stock 9.5 to 8.5 or 8.0 will lower power by approx. 3%-4% respectively (see "HP vs. Compression Ratio"), but the
lower compression will permit the engine to run 3-5 psi (45-75HP) of additional boost which will more than offset the relatively small power loss
from CR.

lets see you bull$hit your way through this, just because i cut and paste this info doesnt make it any less the facts
This is mostly a bunch of advertising garbage. 3psi gives 30-60hp more LOL how can they even say that?

Jwog loves to pull up other crap from the internet because he is a forum mechanic and really knows nothing. I have a degree from actually going to school to learn to design and build engines, work at a machine shop that builds everything from bracket engines to prostock. Look what engines are in 10.5 turbo cars 13:1 running 30+lbs. But the forum mechanic will continue to be a douche and pull up BS advertising site info to keep trying to prove his point.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:26 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

^^^^^^lmao, the fact that you told this guy to run the wrong pistons, and to get a $4k set of heads, and another $600 worth of cams to fix it instead of replacing the incorrect pistons completely renders anything you say invalid on the topic, man you should see the pm's i get from members of this forum laughing at how much of an idiot you are. lmao

as for how can they say 3 psi more boost gives you 38-60 more hp? its because they test their kits and those are the results of those tests.......i know this is hard to grasp, but try shall we

Last edited by jwog666; 05-15-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP wrong pistons knock & pinging