4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PLEASE HELP wrong pistons knock & pinging

Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

here is a link to modular fords and a write up by a member that pretty completely covers the compression ratio vs boost debate. http://www.modularfords.com/threads/...boost-pressure

read through it and then you will understand how a high compression low boost engine, is less efficient and will without doubt leave power at the table when compared to a low compression high boost engine.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:13 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

First off, oxfordgt, shut up. You provided a decent option in the beginning but as usual, you start you're bs and lieing. Stop being a troll for everyone's sake!

Jwog, you provided good "rule of thumb" information but some of it was misleading. There are plenty of high compression, boosted engines out there. Granted that most are full blown race engines and depending on what ppl call high compression.

OP, there are a few options you can take here depending on a few variables.
1) you could reassemble your engine with the correct pistons and go on with your plans.
2) the Trickflow heads wont lower your compression since the largest, I can find, were the 44cc heads. These heads do use a new valve placement that help flow and if you don't have piston notches, you can run larger cams than pi heads.
3) if you have piston notches, you could run cams large enough to bleed off dymanic compression so pump gas can be run. Your stock cams and 12.5 compression is causing detnation like crazy!
Old 05-15-2016, 01:21 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy

Jwog, you provided good "rule of thumb" information but some of it was misleading. There are plenty of high compression, boosted engines out there. Granted that most are full blown race engines and depending on what ppl call high compression.
the information was not misleading,the OP is building a street engine, and not a high revving purpose built track engine. the OP knows that, i know that, and anybody who responds to his post should know that. can a high compression boosted engine be built?.......yes. is it a good idea for a non track car application?.....not ever. results prove that as a fact. i try to answer questions without using hypothetical situations.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:28 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Like I mentioned before, depending on what people believe is high static compression. If the op thinks 10:1 compression is high in a modular then the information can be misleading vs thinking 11.5:1 is high compression which youre information, and yes I read it, is very right.
There are exceptions out there, not naming the person who hasn't been on here in quite a while, who In conversation said to me that a nice street motor to him would be 11:1 compression, small cams to help to "bleed" off damanic compression, and about 6-8 psi on a positive displacement blower on pump gas. This person did have the credentials about cars in general and modular. Personally, I would choose 10:1, a set of baby cams, and 10 psi positive displacement blower on pump gas but eh.

I'm not giving you crap for the information you provided, its very good. I'm just trying to make sure nothing gets twisted around and bad decisions get made.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:36 PM
Figure8allday

Originally Posted by Drastang
stock cam?
Yes. Stock cam. Its a daily driver.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:40 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
First off, oxfordgt, shut up. You provided a decent option in the beginning but as usual, you start you're bs and lieing. Stop being a troll for everyone's sake!

OP, there are a few options you can take here depending on a few variables.
1) you could reassemble your engine with the correct pistons and go on with your plans.
2) the Trickflow heads wont lower your compression since the largest, I can find, were the 44cc heads. These heads do use a new valve placement that help flow and if you don't have piston notches, you can run larger cams than pi heads.
3) if you have piston notches, you could run cams large enough to bleed off dymanic compression so pump gas can be run. Your stock cams and 12.5 compression is causing detnation like crazy!
Eat a dick, I have to need to lie to a bunch of forum toolbags that think they know something about cars yet can only build a laughable 400hp supercharged engine.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Figure8allday

Originally Posted by jwog666
you are done, pull it apart and install the correct pistons, you cant safely supercharge something with 12:1 ratio unless you want to go broke running race fuel all the time
Its a daily driver not track car. I will correct the pistons. I dont want to do race fuel or change heads. Supercharger will come after piston correction. What do you think about temporarily using octane booster from OReilly or Autozone??
Old 05-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Figure8allday

Originally Posted by jwog666
you mean that video that showed power numbers on a screen with no actual graph of hp/tq vs rpm? for all we know your NA engine makes power from 6-9k rpm, completely useless on the street, thats assuming that you arent making chit up like all the other times. supercharged junk? lmao its always like an idiot to try and tear down things he doesnt understand
Its a daily driver not track car. I will correct the pistons. I dont want to do race fuel or change heads. Supercharger will come after piston correction. What do you think about temporarily using octane booster from OReilly or Autozone??
Old 05-15-2016, 04:11 PM
Figure8allday

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
Eat a dick, I have to need to lie to a bunch of forum toolbags that think they know something about cars yet can only build a laughable 400hp supercharged engine.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
"eat a dick"? i guess if i wanted advice on the best way to do that i would contact you for sure.

"no need to lie"? yet you still manage to lie and spout bull$hit misinformation at every turn

Last edited by jwog666; 05-15-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP wrong pistons knock & pinging